You can type here any text you want

Broken valvetrain replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86GN-862+2

:mad: Well, the rocker shaft broke on the passenger side. Got a bent pushrod on the last cylinder against the firewall. I just got thru taking it out and the shaft is cracked on ALL mounting holes!! The engine was rebuilt prior to my purchasing it. Clearly, whoever rebuilt it was NOT familiar with these cars. I already replaced a valve cover gasket which was hanging into the cover all along the bottom(they only installed it on the top 1/2 of the valve cover!!:eek:

I need to replace both rocker assemblies to make sure they won't fail again. Will the regular parts from a regular non-turbo 3.8 buick engine work(as far as correct geometry goes)?? I got a Regal just rusting out in the backyard. Can I use the pushrods as well from it? I measured one pushrod from "shoulder" to "shoulder" excluding round ends and it measures 8 3/16" X 5/16". Any ideas guys?? I got about 1 1/2 hrs before the bank closes in case I have to buy something from the auto parts store. LMK what you think please!!

I've also noticed these metal "braces" around the valve springs. I don't know what to call them. Are they to minimize spring vibrations or what? Are they stock units? :confused:

The rockers should work as well as the pushrods if everything is stock. It does sound like stock springs.

Thank you for the prompt response sir. At least I can have it up and running again this weekend without spending any $$$...I hope. Judging by the way the shaft is split, seems like they over torqued the bolts on it. What do you think of the solid shaft stock replacement style rocker assemblies? I don't want buy anything that will require head modifications to fit. Just need a good reliable daily driver.:cool:

They don't make solid shafts but they do make harder ones. I don't know if anyone is making the extream duty ones any more though. I've got a set of the KB shafts and rockers my self so I don't have to worry about it to much,

Thank you all for the info! I used the regular Regal parts just to have it up and running today. It lives once again;) I'm going to order me some heavy duty parts next week. I didn't realize how fragile the stock components are. All the wear and tear with 100K mi plus, it's about time they get replaced anyway. This is the solid shaft I had in mind... Maybe they still make it:D :confused:

Hemco Machine Company, Inc. - Buick Turbo V6 Plenum

:mad: Well, the rocker shaft broke on the passenger side. Got a bent pushrod on the last cylinder against the firewall. I just got thru taking it out and the shaft is cracked on ALL mounting holes!! The engine was rebuilt prior to my purchasing it. Clearly, whoever rebuilt it was NOT familiar with these cars. I already replaced a valve cover gasket which was hanging into the cover all along the bottom(they only installed it on the top 1/2 of the valve cover!!:eek:

I need to replace both rocker assemblies to make sure they won't fail again. Will the regular parts from a regular non-turbo 3.8 buick engine work(as far as correct geometry goes)?? I got a Regal just rusting out in the backyard. Can I use the pushrods as well from it? I measured one pushrod from "shoulder" to "shoulder" excluding round ends and it measures 8 3/16" X 5/16". Any ideas guys?? I got about 1 1/2 hrs before the bank closes in case I have to buy something from the auto parts store. LMK what you think please!!
The shaft failed from a valve hitting a piston. Id replace the bolts too. Check for a bent valve.

Back