You can type here any text you want

buick 3.8 (231) belt set-up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

imkfly

few quick questions...
1. on the 3.8 (231) im (TRYING) to service my ps pump belt but cant to it. i understand i gotta remove all the other belts. i got two off but cant get past the ac belt! but even so, i cant see anyway how i would get the ps pump belt off? any ideas?
2. if familiar with my engine, off hand, do you know what the hell that first belt is on? its a mini-altenator looking thing, with two vacuum looking things in the back, one with a hose leading into back of engine? wat is it? because mines cracked off a piece and the bolt goes in the tighten.. now belt is really loose? could i do without for a few months?
3. man its so 40 degrees out and im looking to say fLuck the ac. if belt removed would it screw sumtin up? like could i just remove it to get to other belts and just put it back on when its hot again...(4-5 months). also, wouldnt that foresee a slight power increase on my behalf? if so, if i can remove the question #2's thingy, and have them both off, would that add a lil more power also!?

thanx in advanced guys!

Slow down a little. The "mini alternator thingy" is an AIR pump. You may need it to pass inspection, but for now you can leave the belt off. Same goes with the AC belt. All that needs to be driven are the water pump, alternator, and power steering. The PS belt is a pain to say the least. Take a look at the mounting points and you'll see where it pivots from. There are 3 or 4 bolts that you have to loosen to get it to move. One's on the back of the pump. Hope that helps.

on all my 3.8 stuff I have to remove the belts on the water pump pulley then remove the water pump pulley itself then you will have access to the PS belt once you loosen the pump it will slide right out of there and off the crank pulley.

ill do some research on the air pump thingy! lol. i wanna just delete and plug it off! friends say go for it, and just register for antique tags here in PA...so im exempt from emissions! i just dont want to have a cloud of trailing smoke from the car. lol. but ill just remove and leave off the belts for a while!
ill look into the ps pump at day break also!

Back