buick guys

80turbomonte

did the other power valve with the check valve to the intake now it does this runs up to 2000 then dies just like a classic vacuum leak used the carb cleaner to locate leak and nothing. took turbo off(what a pain) put new gaskets in, changed nothing. re-torqued intake bolts. (used felpro). iam totally stumped way to much money in this buick v6 to be doing this. got maybe 5 miles on it(in over a month):eek: thinking ill put my small block back in it:D try to salvage some money back out of this brand new 4.1 any takers????? holds 50 psi oil pressure hot 40 in gear when it stays running.

Check the PCV valve make sure its not suck open, Also on the top of the intake. There is some bolt holes that brackets and stuff to bolt too. Make sure they are plugged, because some of them go right though to the intake tack. Vacuum leak city (I found out the hard way).

EGR, is that in place?

Do you have a vacuum /boost gauge? If so what is the vacuum reading?

Also what is your base timing set at?

It's a 1980, does it have that stupid heater plate under the carb that GM tried using in the early 80's? If it does remove it, if they're not working properly that's what usually happens. What's your fuel pressure, Check fuel ines from front to rear. could be cracked from age(the rubber hose). You'll get it to start but can't maintain fuel supply as engine speed stays running. It'll start to suck air, run out of fuel and die.

Hi!
You guys aren't gonna want to hear this, but a major reason I got rid of the carbed engine was that it NEVER ran right, and I'm talking all the way back to new. Crap out and backfire were my regular situation. As an auto tech. ,I had access to all the diagnostic equipment , still had poor results.I think these cars are borderline engineering at it's best.
As far as your trouble, ignition is usually 90% of it, but be prepared for a lot of frustration. The carbs and computer systems are pretty straightforward, and keep in mind that on WOT, all engine management is pretty much off, EXCEPT for spark control. That means the knock mitigation system,ESC in GM acronymese.
Better luck than I had!
Dale

My '83 runs beautifully. My '82 was problematic. After years of diagnosising it myself and letting pros work on it, I found that the carb was the problem. Not necessarily the carb design, but the fact that most mechanics try to treat it like a non-computer carb. Once they F with it, it's done.

The key, IMO, is to find an unmolested carb. Make sure nobody was cut open the mixture adjustments. The more factory plugs in place, the better. My '82 runs as well as my '83.

Also, learning what each component of the system does helps a lot. Scan tool is important also. A vacuum leak will cause fits as well.

Originally posted by b4black
......After years of diagnosising it myself and letting pros work on it, I found that the carb was the problem......... the fact that most mechanics try to treat it like a non-computer carb. Once they F with it, it's done.......The key, IMO, is to find an unmolested carb......

(I was going to write about this Rich but I was'nt sure about the turbo cars so I held back).

I'm a carb guy and I think this carb is great!! It's the so-called pros and street mechanics that mess em all up.

There are so many componants and systems in the Q-Jet/Duel Jet that if you have'nt torn several of them apart and put them back together again successfullly in working condition with your eyes closed, then forget about it!!! :mad:

Leave it alone!! You don't know what you're doing!! Don't tinker with it!! Buy a new one if you're lucky/rich enough! And by all means don't blame the carb or the car. Blame yourself and buy Doug Roe's book and study it thoroughly like I did.

You'll be amazed at what you can do with this thing street level wise. :)