You can type here any text you want

Buick Stage II Lifter bore oiling.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

I am curious how the busch car guys got away without drilling out the lifter bores to oil the rockers/lifters.
I have seen some rocker cover oiling set ups but my recent motor is bushed without the lifter bores drilled through and no rocker cover oiling provisions.
Now the lifter bore is drilled but not tapped and the lifter bore bushed and not drilled through.
It does appear to have been run that way.......

Check the bushing very closely on the cylinder side about 1/2 way down,
more than likely there is a tiny .030 hole that feeds the lifters. Mike :cool:

On S2 heads there is a provision to oil T&D rockers externally. Some T&D rocker shafts are hollow to feed oil to every rocker.

My 016 block was tapped with 1/8 NPTs fittings on the oil feed "towers" front and rear. They were plumbed with short -3AN lines to the heads. The AN fittings have restrictors to limit oil flow. This would allow the engine builder to supply NO oiling to the lifters. Oil draining from the heads would be enough to keep the lifters happy in their bores.

Not sure how they did it when they used Jesel rockers...........I guess they always oiled thru the pushrods?? I've seen valve covers with "Spring oilers" (spraybars) welded inside the covers. Perhaps these were used with Jesel rockers and the lifters were run dry??

Dave,

I have a set of valve covers off a Busch motor that was equipped with Jessel rockers and had "garden sprinklers" in the valve covers like you describe. It had lifter bore oiling also and a rev kit so my guess was that it was a long track motor. There were a few different schools of thought from one engine builder to the next from what I can tell.

Neal

All the Busch engines were dry sump and the majority of them scavanged oil from the lifter valley. As posted above, T&D shafts are capable of being pressure fed and will also pressure feed the lifter(backwards) through the pushrod. Spring oilers were mostly found on the long track engines in order to keep them cool enough to last a whole race!

Check the bushing very closely on the cylinder side about 1/2 way down,
more than likely there is a tiny .030 hole that feeds the lifters. Mike :cool:

Mike your right on the money!
Checked it today and sure enough those tiny holes are there.:wink:

Back