Buick turbo 6 for '96 Roadmaster?

silencer

Hey guys, first off I want to say that I love your cars and hope to have a GN I can call my own someday.

I'm in the '91-96 B-body crowd (Impala SS, Roadmaster, Caprice...), and can't say that I've ever seen a Buick turbo 6 in one of these cars. I currently own a '96 Roadmaster... it's a Buick, but it's powered by an LT1. I can build up the LT1 to get more power, but it's gonna be LOUD! I don't like drawing too much attention to myself on the street when laying the smackdown on another car. That's what I like about your engines, they're quiet yet pack quite a punch. I want to ditch the LT1 for something quieter and more powerful... was seriously looking at the Caddy Northstar for a while, but the aftermarket support for it is very limited. I guess my question to you guys is, does it take a lot to get some respectable power out of a turbo 6? Or would I be better off just building up the LT1 and wrapping the engine bay with Dynamat? I'd think I could get more from a turbocharged LT1, but that's not exactly the cheapest route to go... then again, there's the issue of noise;)

You are dealing with 4200+ pounds of weight which isnt going to leave you too many options. Even a Turbo Buick gets loud when exhaust and other things are modified. If you dont have a TON of money, you would probably be best to start with a much lighter car.

My advice

get yourself a set of headers, a chip, cold air intake, and a super charger. You will be amazed at the difference. You can also keep your stock exhaust if you wanted. We did a 96 LT 1 caprice, all we did was a set of headers and a super charger. When we'd mash the gas the car would be more than happy to start doing donuts.
We also have done a caprice wagon, LT 1, we have done all the bolt on's except the super charger. They guy is extremely happy.

Your LT-1 could generate some impressive numbers, theres always a Stroker kit, AFR heads, cam, nitrous etc etc etc.
Your car could be an extreme sleeper, I've considered buying one since I'm still trying to find the right 96 Impala. The LT-1 is a decent motor and since you want something quiet why not Turbocharge what you already have there are kits out there. You'd start out with a bigger motor that has the inherent potential to make more torque and horsepower than a 3.8 on Cubic inches alone:D

Geoff