building a box

Sinister86

Hey fellas, this is my first post on the car audio section of tb.com so i thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Taylor, I live in columbus ohio and i am a car audio nut. I put together a system in my 92 firebird that i used to have with a pair of jbl gt's wired in 2-ohm impedence with an infinity beta digital amp. the subs saw about 200 watts RMS each and that hit extremely hard in my car. i had cerwin vega 6x9's and blaupunkt 4x6's in the front. i wasnt exactly planning on putting a system into my 86 GN but you guys know how it is... it started with putting the cerwins into the gn, that helped tremendously, even off the stock head unit. well, i need a cd player to and im going to go with blaupunkt beacuse of their high rms rating (25 watts per channel) and the s/n ratio is an astounding 108 dB!!! i dont see how anybody could pass that up. Well, now for the real question ive got for you guys... Im going to be taking my infinity amp and running it into just one of my jbl 12's because it is a dvc sub. i researched the sub online and found on jbl's website the perfect parameters for a bandpass box that reaces 104 dB at 25 hz. sounds good to me because i love deep bass. three six mafia style beats. anyway, my car is in the shop right now and itll be in there for a good two weeks because the lifter on my new engine broke after 800 miles so right now i wont be able to take any measurements until thursday.... SO i was wondering how much room i have to play with on that upper shelf (thats the space im building my box into) such as height widthe and depth. i was planning on porting it through the rear deck because i have to have all that bass coming into the cabin, plus, i hate rattles and all that pressure in the trunk would suck. if any of you guys know, please respond as i want to get the plans for my box going a.s.a.p btw, i have the 6x9 adapters and the cerwins in if that matters in changing the space... sorry about the long post but thanks anyway, Taylor

Neil,

Could you post the demensions of that box? Also, with those demensions, did you account for 6x9's in the rear deck? Thanks in advance!

Sure, Ill measure it tomorrow........too drunk and tired right now............!!!!!!!!!!.........!!!!!!!!!

Yes, 6x9s with adapters fit fine.........the box is not easy to build, but its worth the space you save.
___
_/ |
____|

That is how its shaped.........cant believe I was able to do that in my condition............measurements will be posted before Friday. Later

Sure, Ill measure it tomorrow........too drunk and tired right now............!!!!!!!!!!.........!!!!!!!!!

Yes, 6x9s with adapters fit fine.........the box is not easy to build, but its worth the space you save.
___
|___\_
|____|

That is how its shaped.....(front the right side quarter panel looking in the trunk)....cant believe I was able to do that in my condition............measurements will be posted before Friday. Later

PS-Ignore the line in the middle of the box.....Ive edited it 10 times, it doest line up!!!!!!

Front View....42" across..........12 3/4" tall.........11" deep (on the bottom).........

Side View.......goes up about 9", then 90* angle back towards the front is 4" or so, then angles up 45* or so, then goes up to the top of the box 2", then goes to the front of the box 5 1/4". (This is the "angles" that provide the room for the 6x9s.

I know this might be hard to understand, but thats the best I can do right now.........the box is mounted in the car, and Im not taking it out for pics. HTH

Originally posted by Sinister86
SO i was wondering how much room i have to play with on that upper shelf (thats the space im building my box into) such as height widthe and depth. i was planning on porting it through the rear deck because i have to have all that bass coming into the cabin, plus, i hate rattles and all that pressure in the trunk would suck. if any of you guys know, please respond as i want to get the plans for my box going a.s.a.p

Click on my link in my sig "my '86 Buick GN install" and you will see how I built my woofer cabinet for 10" a/d/s subs and yes they are ported through my rear deck. You do know that you have to remove the torsion bar set-up (holds trunk lid open) to bring ports through rear deck to work. I can help you build a woofer cabinet for it so if you are interested, you can reply by e-mail or post here.