You can type here any text you want

burned up ecm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

acmech1

hi guys i have a 87t-type that i have had for 2 months yesterday
on the way home check engine light started flashing car ran bad
smoke came from ecm light on steady now was able to limp home
does this happen often and what should i look at to be the cause

Originally posted by acmech1
hi guys i have a 87t-type that i have had for 2 months yesterday
on the way home check engine light started flashing car ran bad
smoke came from ecm light on steady now was able to limp home
does this happen often and what should i look at to be the cause

In 20+ years of dinking with GM ecms you make the second one I've heard of letting the smoke out of.

Look to see if any of the waring that plugs into the ECM, looks funny. Funny as in swollen compared to the other wirng around it. Safest thing to do is grab an ohm meter and wiring diagram and go pin by pin to see if anything is grounded that shouldn't be.

Look around the EGR valve and make sure none of the wiring around it looks smoked.

Hey Bruce,

I know this is an old old thread, but I have a question. Something similar happened to my 87 GN today. No smoke, but real hot. The light didn't flash first, it just came on solid all at once. I was at full throttle and it just popped through the intake and the engine shut off. It restarted and ran real bad, but got me home.

I was wondering why you decided to isolate the egr as a possible problem out of all the things that are in the system. Is this a weak spot or common cause of ecm failure?

Could you e-mail me if you have time. I'd like to pick your brain some.

Thanks, Jeff
getwood@intergate.com

the routing of the injector wire behind the egr was poor. it gets very hot in that area and sometimes the wire can be pinched or melt and short out--len

Originally posted by Low Budgit
Hey Bruce,

I know this is an old old thread, but I have a question. Something similar happened to my 87 GN today. No smoke, but real hot. The light didn't flash first, it just came on solid all at once. I was at full throttle and it just popped through the intake and the engine shut off. It restarted and ran real bad, but got me home.

I was wondering why you decided to isolate the egr as a possible problem out of all the things that are in the system. Is this a weak spot or common cause of ecm failure?

Could you e-mail me if you have time. I'd like to pick your brain some.

Thanks, Jeff
getwood@intergate.com
Check cam sensor reluctor, Make sure that the location tang didn't break off & caused reluctor to go out of sync.

Actually in my case...Check your mechanic's work!

I had a "mechanic" work on my car in June, and in testing wires for power, he removed the big plug at the ignition module. Apparently he either didn't tighten the bolt at all or not tight enough. The plug was so loose, I'm amazed the engine ran at all. It almost fell out completely when I touched it to take it off. That'll do it!
Thanks,
Jeff

Originally posted by turbolou
Check cam sensor reluctor, Make sure that the location tang didn't break off & caused reluctor to go out of sync.

hey lou--you big stud--please tell me your commimg to the vegas event! we cant have it with out you and i would hate to call it off if you cant make it. :D my brother--len

Back