You can type here any text you want

Burnouts and hydroboost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T Spool

So can you pull up to the burnout box and do a burnout WITHOUT A LINE LOCK with hydroboost brakes? I don't have a line lock so I am just wondering if I would need one if I go with a hydroboost conversion. Sure would hate to pull up and not be able to turn the tires :o

What ever brake system (pm, hydro, vac, man) a line loc when installed on the front circuit will keep the rear drums from heating up during a burnout.

Powerbraking u can do a burnout while pressing the gas and brake and the engine power overcomes the rear brakes holding power (pro valves puts more force to the fronts) and spins the tires.
The rear brakes are still applied when power braking and the dragging force wears and heats/overheats the shoes.

Line loc uses the front only and the rears are released and the burnout is then performed

So can you pull up to the burnout box and do a burnout WITHOUT A LINE LOCK with hydroboost brakes? I don't have a line lock so I am just wondering if I would need one if I go with a hydroboost conversion. Sure would hate to pull up and not be able to turn the tires :o

Yes you can. Just remember that because you can does necessarily mean you should.

Turbo Nasty explained it well. If you want your brakes to hold on the line it is best to keep them as cool as possible which is where a line lock comes in. They are inexpensive and easy to hook up. Anyone who goes to the track should have one.

Thanks guys. I know exactly how line locks work and I know it's not the best to do burnouts without them, but in my other vacuum brake cars I have put several hundred trips down the 1/4 mile ( high 12 and low 11 second cars) without line locks and never had a problem. I just wondered if the hydroboost setup holds so solid that it would make it more difficult or impossible to do a burnout that's all. Here's what I gather -

Is it best to have line lock for burnouts? Yes

Is it impossible to do a burnout with hyrdroboost brakes? No

Is it wise? No, especially with aluminum drums

If your using stock or semi metallic shoes on the back than those always hold better when they are hot. Soft shoes suck in that respect. I've raced with the stock factory HB and you might have a problem holding it at boost levels above 5 pounds. Every car is different. What happens is that you feel the pedal pulsate and the pedal starts to get hard which in turns reduces the clamping power of the hydraulics. Just like vacuum brakes there is a technique to launching the car with HB brakes. It wasn't a problem for me after I figured out how to do it.:)

Hydroboost Braking

The Hydroboost Will Set That Line Lock Hard With Higher Pressure. It Locks The Fronts Only. The Hydroboost Without A Line Lock Will Hold The Car, But Also Holds The Rear Brakes On During A Burnout. The Only Time A Hydroboost Will Not Hold In A Drag Race Start, Is When The Stock Crank Pulley Overspeeds The P/s Pump. At About 6000 Crank Speed, The P/s Pump Is Turning 10,000rpm. This Is So Fast, That The Vanes Can't Pull In Fluid To Pump Pressure, And The H/b Backs Off With Low Pressure. For Drag Racing, The Crank Pulley Needs To Be Smaller In Diameter, To Slow Accessory Speed Down. At 6000rpm, The Alternator Is Over 24,000 Rpm! Water Pump Speed At 10,000 Rpm! Horsepower Wasted!

And The H/b Backs Off With Low Pressure. For Drag Racing, The Crank Pulley Needs To Be Smaller In Diameter, To Slow Accessory Speed Down. At 6000rpm, The Alternator Is Over 24,000 Rpm! Water Pump Speed At 10,000 Rpm! Horsepower Wasted!

Dude! You need to adjust your post to address the TURBO BUICK crowd. Rule number one! You do not screw with the pulley diameter of a Buick! I know you probaly think I pick on you because I have a vendetta against you and your product but I dont. You would probaly have more success selling your stuff to the TR crowd if you wouldn't word your posts like your HB is a universal bolt on product. Dont treat us like a SBC in other words. There is a thread over in the lounge pursicuting(sp) a certain persons and or company for thinking that we are the same as every clown with a SBC out there. And they caught flak just like you will if you continue to do so. A freindly suggestion. Bone up on the workings of a Turbo Buick and a turbo G-body or dont word your posts with bloopers like this one. Nothing turns me off more than to read something from some one who doesn't own a TR or have a clue on how they work.How the heck are you going to answer a tech question if somebody installs your HB on a TR and you dont know the first thing about them? Yes I am a conceited bastard but I only rant for the good of my follow TR brethen.:mad:

BTW If you want to do good by us, dont poll us on the possibilty of you making a set of hoses for our cars to use your HB. Just do it. You're the one who wants to sell us HBs. Make it worth it to us. You make a set for all types of SBC cars. What makes them so special? :rolleyes:

Back