You can type here any text you want

Buying a 87 grand national

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dan0003

Thinking of buying an 87 gn with 35,000 original miles. The dealer says it blows white smoke which could be a head gasket, or a turbo seal leak im thinking. Also at 40 mph, the car loses power which could be the tps, not sure. He is asking 14k for it. Is this a good buy? I know its gonna need work but how much work and money is the question. Thanks

Run, don't walk away!

Run, don't walk away!

Good advise unless you have a few $1000 extra to get this GN in decent running shape.

An original GN with 35K miles and running well will bring over $20k, so something is not right here, maybe 135,000 miles?

Someone brand new to Turbo Buicks doesn't need a problem child for their first one, especially at 14k. He could easily drop 5-10k on repairs if he finds someone that is honest. .

on the other hand...if you do/did your due- diligence on the car...and its a VERY clean, honest 35k GN? the car could be worth 30k + Offer 12k...do the hagle thing ...ask to take it to someone who has a clue for a proper diog..(would do this step regardless) not likely a bad engine at 35K? i wouldnt be too scared.

Last edited:
That's too much money for a car with engine (and possibly electrical) problems. That being said, if you can buy it for a song it might be worth considering.

Just keep in mind, you'll have to pay someone that knows these cars to get it back to a 'baseline'. After that you'll be albe to read up on maintain it yourself.

That's the kind of car someone like me would be interested in. For a newbie, it could EASILY turn into a money pit, piss you off, and get sold off in boxes for a loss.

If you really want a tb, find an experienced owner in your area and ask them for help finding one that would be good for you. Most likely it won't be from a dealer either.

Thinking of buying an 87 gn with 35,000 original miles. The dealer says it blows white smoke which could be a head gasket, or a turbo seal leak im thinking. Also at 40 mph, the car loses power which could be the tps, not sure. He is asking 14k for it. Is this a good buy? I know its gonna need work but how much work and money is the question. Thanks
You may get lucky, however a whole lot of folks don’t. Take Pronto advice and find someone who knows something about these cars. Now me I took some what of a chance and paid 25k back in 2012 on e-bay for a 11,000 mile
GN. But I did have someone in Texas look at the car first. But,but , but I had a grandson wanting a GN since he was little. So I ended up giving it to him. That 11k car became a 50k car in 18 mouths he back in or ran over every stop sign or fence he could fine. Tore the trans out and has blown the engine up. Took a very nice GN and destroy it. Sorry for the rant, just be careful cause one thing or another will bite you

A car with that miles and problems had a bad life.
Or like one of the other guys said
Maybe it's 135k

My car has 145k and still runs really good.
I get a little smoke when cold but goes away quickly

Trying asking for 10k
I'd say for 10k as long as the interior is in good shape and paint
it's worth it

That's the kind of car someone like me would be interested in. For a newbie, it could EASILY turn into a money pit, piss you off, and get sold off in boxes for a loss.
Exactly!

For any of the expeirenced Turbo Buick owners, if this thing is as advertised, it could be a good purchase.

But not for a newbie. Many of us guys who have owned and worked on these cars for 20+ years, can whip this bitch into shape in short order. Especially when we have Buick friends and parts all over the garage. But for a beginner, this could be a total nightmare with a very expensive and time consuming learning curve.

Start fresh and learn as you go. You can enjoy it along the way. Otherwise, you will be frustrated and may loose interest and resent the whole damned thing.

Especially for someone with a large cache of parts.

Take a look at the brake & throttle pedals. How much is worn away?

Understand that the Turbo Regal brake pedal may have been changed if the Power Master brake system has been removed.

Exactly!

For any of the expeirenced Turbo Buick owners, if this thing is as advertised, it could be a good purchase.

But not for a newbie. Many of us guys who have owned and worked on these cars for 20+ years, can whip this bitch into shape in short order. Especially when we have Buick friends and parts all over the garage. But for a beginner, this could be a total nightmare with a very expensive and time consuming learning curve.

Start fresh and learn as you go. You can enjoy it along the way. Otherwise, you will be frustrated and may loose interest and resent the whole damned thing.
Yes also true.
If you're not able and willing to do it yourself.paying for the repairs adds up.

Better off buying something that runs great.

Another idea is to find someone who knows these cars and have him check it out.
Maybe it's a good car just needs a little work? I don't know. Just giving ideas

I'm crazy enough to buy it
Lol

If your buying it from a dealer your taking it up the ass

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Back