By pass valve???

slamming 6

Drag Master
What does the by pass do and how do i replace it,rebuilt the oil pump and i would like to change it to see if it would help my dry start problem.

By Pass

Are you talking about the bypass valve in the oil filter? If so it prevents the oil in the filter from draining out while the engine is not running. AC #pf-52:)

sorry about that it is in the oil filter housing that is bolted to the frount cover it is a little valve on the inside.

actually, the bypass alllows oil to bypass the filter when pressure is high....not a good thing...most block it off

if you live where it gets cold, this can be somewhat risky (big oil puddle when the filter blows.......)

thanks AZGN,will it let oil flow back when the motor is shut off iam trying to get rid of a dry start problem thanks again.

By Pass

I could be wrong, but I just checked the Turbo Regal Spring Cleaning Guide written by Ken Mosher. AC #pf47(short filter) or AC #pf-52(longer filter). "Both these filters have an antidrainback valve that will trap the oil in the filter, thus providing a small reservoir of oil for initial starting." I have also heard that filters will bypass under high pressure. Don't know for sure because I can't see the filter oil when I start up the engine. Can't hurt.:)

filters have an anti-drain back and the filter fitting has a bypass valve....two different things for two different reasons

talking about what?

azgn---how to block it off ??

AZGN----How do you block off the by pass valve?? been thinking about this,now I see your post, clue me in----Jack

Some people run a cup/freeze plug in the hole where the bypass is. Others, tap it and put an allen headed pipe plug instead.

Plug the by-pass

STP-----thanks for the couple ways of doing this,I`ve got mine out right now ,so It`ll be easy to do---Jack

Dry??

Don't think the by-pass valve would have any effect on dry starting. The by-pass valve is set pretty high, maybe 70 pounds? Not sure about the setting, but it won't open until the pressure is higher than that, which should be plenty to get oil through the filter, and into your bearings and lifters. If you want, you can shim to an even higher pressure. I have no idea what it would take to blow a filter, but it's probably something over 100 psi. Be careful with the filter. Some have anti-drainback valves, but they don't always work. Some guys take the filters out of the box, in the store, and blow through them to make sure the valve is working.

The purpose of the Bypass Valve ("BYP") in the filter adapter, is :

1) ensure an adequate supply of oil reaches the engine should the the filter clog ,

2) act as a safety valve to prevent excess differential pressure from rupturing the filter (eg, high oil pressure with heavy weight oil and/or cold starts. The BYP opens with only 8 or 9 psi.

The idea being, that Any oil (even unfiltered) is better than no oil.

The BYP has nothing to do with oil draining out of the filter. That's the job of the Anti Drainback Valve ("ADV") in the filter itself.

Plugging the BYP is controversial, there have been many threads on it, do a search. I decided to plug the BYP so that if anything ever broke in my engine, the shrapnel would not get past the filter via the BYP. In return, it requires more caution driving the car, until the oil pressure has dropped to its normal hot idle pressure.

Here's some pics of how I did it :
http://community.webshots.com/album/63093078uJqZEQ

Since plugging the BYP, I learned there are specially tapered pipe plugs that sit flush with the surface, and I wouldn't have had to modify the aluminum pipe plug shown in my photos.

At http://www.mcmaster.com/ , do a search for # 4534K44 , "Steel Flush-Mount Hex Socket Plugs ".

If you plug the BYP, I'd suggest :

1) Use a Biggie filter adapter and a large filter with more surface area.

2) Use only heavy duty filters , eg Baldwin or Wix racing, to avoid rupturing the filter under cold start conditions. Retail store filters are positively flimsy by comparison.