C-clip Eliminators & Rear Disc Brakes ???

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Are C-clip eliminators needed if running rear disc brakes ? Wouldn't the caliper hold the the wheel " in place " and not let it exit the car in the event of a broken axle ? Sam

the calaliper is a retention and you wouldnt need eliminators if the calipers are floating style calipers like GM used , the 2nd and 3rd gen F body used c-clip axles with their rear disc setups .
with drag style lightweight fixed calipers like the strange /wilwood you will have problems because the side to side slop of c-clip axles will cause the rotor to drag against the pads ,
when you are fast enough to need c-clip elims for the track (which you are) and need to have aftermarket non c-clip axles per the rules you could do elims but you will need to do a weld on bracket for disc converson. or cut the ends off and weld on ford/large GM style ends (bearing is pressed on the axle ) and that opens up the disc brake possibilities.
for my 9" which has ford ends i went with strange discs easy bolt on , for an 8.5 rear you could do strange elims and axles and if you call them they can also set up the elims for their disc kit in which they modify the eliminator on the housing side for the caliper bracket to fit between the stock flange and the eliminator

Thanks Paul for clearing that up . The reason I ask is I don't like how far out my new tires stick out . For a winter project , I'm thinking of a frame notch and narrowing the rear end at least 2" to tuck in the tires & lower the rear of the car at least 2" - 3" . Right now on launch the car rocks back and the tires hit the fender forcing the car to lose weight transfer , the front comes down and I lose traction 1 car length out . I noticed this when my son drove and I took a video of the race . I was exploring different ideas , from a " simple " narrowing the existing rear end & disc brakes with C- clips still in place , to a full blown Moser 12 bolt with Wilwood disc brakes already installed http://www.moserengineering.com/complete-rear-end-assemblies/12-bolt-musclepak.html . Sam

im running stock width moser 9" ford with frame notch (tsm legal) and 15x10 5" BS weld alumastar rims that allow the tires (275/60 mt pro radials) to tuck a little . im also running instant center upper relocate kit (like the baseline suspension setup) that cause the rear to pull away from body slightly on the hit (off trans brake) pushing tire into the track instead of squatting down
have the baseline setup on an 8.5 rear in my 86 and also frame notched so 275s tuck in a little
keep in mind if you don't have a transbrake the disc could be harder to hold boost at the line

Last edited:
Did you roll the rear fenders ? My rims are 15x10 - 4" back space . I have just under 1" tire to frame clearance right now , so with a fender roll , notch , mini tub & narrowing I should be able to tuck them in . The 12 bolt & 9" are about the same price , pro's & con's , which is better ? I don't plan on putting a bar in the car right now , so I probably won't be going to the track much more once I get the boot , just a fast street car for now .

Last edited:
i rolled the lips , no mini tub .
on the 87 in vid i have ridetech single adjustable coilovers and i run the rear fender lip height at 27 1/4"
on my 86 i have wolferacecraft adjustable weld on spring perches with a qa1 150# 12" coiloverspring and qa1 adjustable rears .
both cars i run wolfe dbl adj lower control arms and HR lower frame braces