You can type here any text you want

Caged 56 Chevy Shoebox

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
On my way home, just after getting some gas, I was sitting in a long line at a right turn lane wondering when I was gonna get to kill something, when this red with white shoebox rumbles by on my left and up to the light.

I eyeballed it and noticed it was caged and also running some good sized and well worn MT ET's on the back.

I considered the fact that up ahead, there was this wide open stretch of road that runs behind the old El Toro Marine base and if I get lucky....he and I might get lined up at one of the lights with lots of room to run it out....:biggrin:

Looks like a serious contender, so I figure...what better way to try out the new heads and cam...
Mirror check...nobody else coming up from behind so I pulled out of the right turn crowd and in behind Mr. Shoebox...he had to notice me...

Light turned green and he leasurely accelerates.
I got an opening to come alongside him and advance forward through the traffic ahead, hoping for the eventual line up. As I spool by, he's looking straight ahead...older guy...had to be in his 60's...

He didn't really seem interested as I went by so I gradually weaved forward
as traffic moved through a few intersections and the lanes narrowed from 3 to 2 as we moved down the road behind El Toro...
Up ahead a 1/2 mile or so, it opens back up to 3 lanes and most folks leave that 3rd lane open, so I'm still hoping for my line up if he comes down that 3rd lane unobstructed.

Finally after the road opened back to 3 lanes, I found myself alone up front, and with perfect timing, the last light before the long straight away goes yellow and then red. As I stop, I'm in the middle lane and watching the 3rd lane in my rear view as it stays open.
Then I hear Mr. Shoebox rumbling up as he appears in my rear view slowing for the red light in the third lane.:D
Yeah!!!!

Now this was not the perfect spot, since there was a gradual left handed bend in the road up ahead before it straightened out, but nothing too serious....so if he goes....I'm in.

I turned my attention forward.
I was going to brake boost just in case, but the light turned green before I could prep.

Shoebox boy was still rolling at about 5mph when the green came up, so he had momentum.

I didn't go all in, but I accelerated hard enough to fender him, until I heard him open it up.....and then I matched his challenge.
WAAAAAAAA!!!!!!:biggrin:
Definitely a stroked small block roller motor, and it sounded very well tuned.

I got out ahead until his front bumper was about even with my back where we seemed to balance out...me not leaving him and him not gaining.

I was feeling good.....first race with the new combo...and it looks like it's gonna be a win!!!:biggrin:

Then ....it happened.....
The road was straight and wide open now....so the old fart opened the bottle on me cuz all the sudden he started gaining....faaaaaast:eek:...then he walked on by going about 3-5 mph faster than me.
I started to slow his pull once he was ahead by a length and as we got into the top, but as soon as it was clear I was not gonna be able to regain the lead before a 1/4 mile was up, I blipped my brights lights in surrender and let out.
We were going well over 100mph by now...

On the other end of the straight, we end up along side each other in a pair of left turn lanes. As I pulled up...I get a better look at the interior.
Full race seats and harnesses, and the old fart is unlocking his light weight plastic window from the top so he can let it down and talk to me:rolleyes:
...he's probably lightenend this thing up a tad...ya think?

Me: OK...how much power you making?
Him: What? (can't hear me over his exhaust)
Me: How much power you making!? (ya deef ol' fart)
Him: I think about 450...(as if he didn't know)
Me: (smiling) You have more than that, cuz I probably have more than that.
....450 at the wheels?
Him: [nodding yes smuggly and trying his best not to let on he was no rookie]

I was about to ask how much was in the bottle, but the light was green now and we had to start rolling, so that was the end of our conversation as he rolled in and his small block drowned us out.
We gave each other a thumbs up and went our ways.

I turned around and headed back home with wounded pride in hand.:redface:

I'm still at 20 lbs and have not fully tuned my combo, so there is more in it.
Through the run once we got going, I kept checking the ScanMaster and had 0 KR
After the run I checked the ScanMaster memory and at 23mph I had 5.2 deg of KR:eek: with the O2's at 830 something so most likely false knock...I know I have an exhaust rattle somewhere after the cat....just need to get under there and fix it.
I'm also waiting for my updated chip from Eric and then I'll head over to Spoolfool2's place for some tuning time.

good ka, ummm wait....better luck next time

start tuning and start turning up the boost, and then revenge sweet revenge :biggrin:

Nice!! Tune,Tune,Tune ;)

Yup, Yup, Yup.... ;)

good ka, ummm wait....better luck next time

start tuning and start turning up the boost, and then revenge sweet revenge :biggrin:

Hopefully he doesnt have another stage of spray ready for me after I get my tune on....it was a very well set-up machine....but I had to try.:D

Gonna have to go find me an Sti or Evo to kick....:D

On my way home, just after getting some gas, I was sitting in a long line at a right turn lane wondering when I was gonna get to kill something, when this red with white shoebox rumbles by on my left and up to the light.

I eyeballed it and noticed it was caged and also running some good sized and well worn MT ET's on the back.

I considered the fact that up ahead, there was this wide open stretch of road that runs behind the old El Toro Marine base and if I get lucky....he and I might get lined up at one of the lights with lots of room to run it out....:biggrin:

Looks like a serious contender, so I figure...what better way to try out the new heads and cam...
Mirror check...nobody else coming up from behind so I pulled out of the right turn crowd and in behind Mr. Shoebox...he had to notice me...

Light turned green and he leasurely accelerates.
I got an opening to come alongside him and advance forward through the traffic ahead, hoping for the eventual line up. As I spool by, he's looking straight ahead...older guy...had to be in his 60's...

He didn't really seem interested as I went by so I gradually weaved forward
as traffic moved through a few intersections and the lanes narrowed from 3 to 2 as we moved down the road behind El Toro...
Up ahead a 1/2 mile or so, it opens back up to 3 lanes and most folks leave that 3rd lane open, so I'm still hoping for my line up if he comes down that 3rd lane unobstructed.

Finally after the road opened back to 3 lanes, I found myself alone up front, and with perfect timing, the last light before the long straight away goes yellow and then red. As I stop, I'm in the middle lane and watching the 3rd lane in my rear view as it stays open.
Then I hear Mr. Shoebox rumbling up as he appears in my rear view slowing for the red light in the third lane.:D
Yeah!!!!

Now this was not the perfect spot, since there was a gradual left handed bend in the road up ahead before it straightened out, but nothing too serious....so if he goes....I'm in.

I turned my attention forward.
I was going to brake boost just in case, but the light turned green before I could prep.

Shoebox boy was still rolling at about 5mph when the green came up, so he had momentum.

I didn't go all in, but I accelerated hard enough to fender him, until I heard him open it up.....and then I matched his challenge.
WAAAAAAAA!!!!!!:biggrin:
Definitely a stroked small block roller motor, and it sounded very well tuned.

I got out ahead until his front bumper was about even with my back where we seemed to balance out...me not leaving him and him not gaining.

I was feeling good.....first race with the new combo...and it looks like it's gonna be a win!!!:biggrin:

Then ....it happened.....
The road was straight and wide open now....so the old fart opened the bottle on me cuz all the sudden he started gaining....faaaaaast:eek:...then he walked on by going about 3-5 mph faster than me.
I started to slow his pull once he was ahead by a length and as we got into the top, but as soon as it was clear I was not gonna be able to regain the lead before a 1/4 mile was up, I blipped my brights lights in surrender and let out.
We were going well over 100mph by now...

On the other end of the straight, we end up along side each other in a pair of left turn lanes. As I pulled up...I get a better look at the interior.
Full race seats and harnesses, and the old fart is unlocking his light weight plastic window from the top so he can let it down and talk to me:rolleyes:
...he's probably lightenend this thing up a tad...ya think?

Me: OK...how much power you making?
Him: What? (can't hear me over his exhaust)
Me: How much power you making!? (ya deef ol' fart)
Him: I think about 450...(as if he didn't know)
Me: (smiling) You have more than that, cuz I probably have more than that.
....450 at the wheels?
Him: [nodding yes smuggly and trying his best not to let on he was no rookie]

I was about to ask how much was in the bottle, but the light was green now and we had to start rolling, so that was the end of our conversation as he rolled in and his small block drowned us out.
We gave each other a thumbs up and went our ways.

I turned around and headed back home with wounded pride in hand.:redface:

I'm still at 20 lbs and have not fully tuned my combo, so there is more in it.
Through the run once we got going, I kept checking the ScanMaster and had 0 KR
After the run I checked the ScanMaster memory and at 23mph I had 5.2 deg of KR:eek: with the O2's at 830 something so most likely false knock...I know I have an exhaust rattle somewhere after the cat....just need to get under there and fix it.
I'm also waiting for my updated chip from Eric and then I'll head over to Spoolfool2's place for some tuning time.

Ill say this again....

Be careful.....:eek::confused:

Ill say this again....

Be careful.....:eek::confused:

:redface:
I'll say it again...I'm always careful....
I don't do this stupid high speed stuff on crowded or narrow laned streets with side roads emptying into them...
I also don't blow through intersections.
I also don't do this if there are any pedestrians or bikes on the road ahead.

Summed up....I only do it when me and the other idiot in the lane next to me are the ony ones who will get hurt....I at least have that much self control:D

It might help ease concerns if you knew more about the area I live in here in South Orange County, Southern Cali.
Most of the roads around here are three wide laners called Parkways with 50-60mph limits on them and lot's of unobstructed forward visibility. Traffic typically moves 5-10mph faster than the posted speed, and out on the highway....if you're doing under 80...you need to get right and stay out of the way of the 18 wheelers....

The road that this particular contest occurred on is an isolated road that runs through fields behind an old Marine base.
Speed limit is 65 and most traffic goes through there doing 70-80....on a slow day....:biggrin:

:redface:
I'll say it again...I'm always careful....
I don't do this stupid high speed stuff on crowded or narrow laned streets with side roads emptying into them...
I also don't blow through intersections.
I also don't do this if there are any pedestrians or bikes on the road ahead.

Summed up....I only do it when me and the other idiot in the lane next to me are the ony ones who will get hurt....I at least have that much self control:D

It might help ease concerns if you knew more about the area I live in here in South Orange County, Southern Cali.
Most of the roads around here are three wide laners called Parkways with 50-60mph limits on them and lot's of unobstructed forward visibility. Traffic typically moves 5-10mph faster than the posted speed, and out on the highway....if you're doing under 80...you need to get right and stay out of the way of the 18 wheelers....

The road that this particular contest occurred on is an isolated road that runs through fields behind an old Marine base.
Speed limit is 65 and most traffic goes through there doing 70-80....on a slow day....:biggrin:

Wow...sounds like a dream road compared to the wonderful trafficy congested highways of Chicago...

Gotta visit Orange County someday...:smile:

Nice death....I love how he let you get out on him just to crush your spirit. Mean old man.

I raced a friend of mine in his boosted 95ish Stang with a highly modded very stock looking GTP. I let him get out a car on me and then he said he could just heer a weeeeeooosh and I was gone. He just put the SC on and I crushed his spirit good haha!!

Yup...he got me.

I'd like to hope that I caught him by surprise at first so he had to go into emergency tap the bottle mode.:D

you mentioned a rattle after the cat. Why is there still a cat? Test pipe my friend ....;)
You can swap in a cat every two years for the inspection or use a "stealth cat" (ie: gutted).

Glad we don't have inspctions over here...

Glad to see you're still out there representing the darkside.

I am still amazed at how many people you actually get to "bite"- I lived in SD for years and it was very rare that anyone would even try...:frown:

I am still amazed at how many people you actually get to "bite"- I lived in SD for years and it was very rare that anyone would even try...:frown:

His drag strip is a nice wide long road that a lot of people use to bypass all the traffic on the 5fwy. It's like a feeding frenzy driving home from work. lol :D

you mentioned a rattle after the cat. Why is there still a cat? Test pipe my friend ....;)
You can swap in a cat every two years for the inspection or use a "stealth cat" (ie: gutted).

Yup....test pipe is in there....I'm just referring to the location of the rattle being after the location of the cat/test pipe.
;)

His drag strip is a nice wide long road that a lot of people use to bypass all the traffic on the 5fwy. It's like a feeding frenzy driving home from work. lol :D

Yuuuuup.:D
Between Irvin Blvd behind El Toro Marine Base, and certain stretches of Antonio, Santa Margarita Pkwy, Bake (near Lou's shop), the lower part of Lake Forest, the upper part of El Toro Rd....and Edinger near the old Tustin Marine Base....I find lot's of willing losers:D....and an occasional winner like this 56.:rolleyes:

Back