Calif. smog test alert !

Hi Dave. It's me, Pat (your 'ol friend) from San Diego. I just happened to sign on and saw your name and TTA89 butting heads about what appears to be an unacceptable use of the word "Mexican" towards some smog technicians. Maybe I can shed some light here. It may well have set off TTA89 because he feels that if these tech guys are born here in the USA, then simply calling all brown people in the USA as "Mexican" - then that really Sucks, because not all brown people come from/born in Mexico. Gad, our country has people from Guatemala, Peru, Chilee, Brazil, and so on. So, having been in the teaching profession, I found (very quick) that referring to someone as coming from Guatemala, when in fact they were from Chile - sort of pissed them off. SGRIM put it in perspective-some one from Mexico is Mexican, someone born in Poland is Polish, some one born of Polish parents in the USA is American, we don't call that person Polish ... Semantics? However, cussing like a drunk sailor is a no, no. Moreover, I have known Dave for quite some time - a good guy, very helpful, intelligent and knowledgeable but can be quick on words (eh, Dave?). Dave and I both served in the Navy, he can't be a bad guy-a great family. I say, drop it at this point. Se la vie, or let it be.

A member with only 9 post at the time of his posting, flaming another member and using foul language on a PG based forum. He's lucky it's the holiday season or I would have drop kicked this member in a heartbeat. Like Cruz57 says, if you're in America, you're an American period. Do you realize there are three board staff members that are Asian? You don't see any of us going off any time someone post threads made in China post. This board if about sharing information about a common interest we all share. There are proper ways to go about expressing your displeasure regarding post content (PM comes to mind and so does reporting the Post) and that public expression was definitely not one of them. But we are definitely getting way off topic in this thread.

For some reason a Regal has to pass tighter standards than a GN.

So getting back on topic -- this makes no sense.

The standards are lumped by range of years and vehicle weight class. A GN has the same standards as any '80s Regal, or Cadillac, or BMW, or Honda. But any of these has tighter standards than an '80s F-150. And looser standards than a 2003 Mazda.

Once in a while I let myself get sucked into these threads. Why do I do this?

Go to the CARB or BAR site and look around. You can find the rules yourself. Why do people listen to rumor and hearsay? Some idiot said this. Some idiot said that. How could it possibly make any sense that a GN would somehow have looser standards than a Regal? A GN is a Regal.

The only way this could make sense is if the car was originally a Regal with a non-turbo motor (say the NA V6 or a Chevy V8) which has to have a smog pump, and the owner converted to an SFI turbo which has no smog pump -- came from the factory without one -- and didn't bother to go to a referee and register the engine change. That owner would get flunked, and that might be what he would be told, that the two motors have different standards, the difference being the smog pump. Such an owner should do his homework with BAR and find out what to do for an engine change.

Last edited:
[:cool:quote="turbolou, post: 3382538, member: 2157"]Troy, i'm a pollock with a tool box & that really makes me dangerous :wacky:[/quote]
Yes, but in the best sort of ways:D And that's why your Poppa Lou!

Last edited: