Calif smog test question:

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
If I buy an '87 turbo GN, and it comes with smog in hand, when do I receive my next smog requirement, and will it be a "Test Only". Basically, to put it another way, is the smog cert that you get when you buy a car good for the normal 2 years, or with what registration renewal will the smog test be required?
The qustion is very important to me, as I already have 2 "87 Buick turbo-t's and i am contemplating adding another.
This every 2 year, smog "Test Station Only" is getting very old.
Are there any states left that do not screw with you on smog testing, regardless of year and make
Also, please: are all '86-'87 Buick Turbo cars in Calif a "Test Station Only" requirement for smog?
Or is this selective enforcement?

Originally posted by Wells
If I buy an '87 turbo GN, and it comes with smog in hand, when do I receive my next smog requirement, and will it be a "Test Only". Basically, to put it another way, is the smog cert that you get when you buy a car good for the normal 2 years, or with what registration renewal will the smog test be required?
The qustion is very important to me, as I already have 2 "87 Buick turbo-t's and i am contemplating adding another.
This every 2 year, smog "Test Station Only" is getting very old.
Are there any states left that do not screw with you on smog testing, regardless of year and make
Also, please: are all '86-'87 Buick Turbo cars in Calif a "Test Station Only" requirement for smog?
Or is this selective enforcement?

The next smog inspection will be due based on VIN and whether the vehicle is on it's Smog Check cycle. If the VIN ends in an even number or alpha character, the Smog check is required on the even year and if the VIN ends in an odd number, the Smog check is due on the odd year. Yes, it will be test only, the GN along with other factory HP vehicles fall in a Test only class of High Emmitter Profile and the rest of the time it's random. So it is not selective enforcement, so to speak. Your GN or TR will not be exempt form inspection until it is 30 years old. Hope this answers your questions.

Ouch...come to southern indiana where we don't have to smog test AT ALL....The hardest inspection we have (in my county) is when you buy an out of state auto they have to verify the color and VIN...It's done in the parking lot of the DMV.

I hear that you guys are pretty cool about firearms, too. I heard that there is even a place in Indiana called Woodengun.
I do like Indiana's attitude regarding smog, though.
Thank you both for the responses.

I'm in California and I haven't gotten a Test Only yet. We don't dyno in my area, tailpipe only but I suspect the dyno might be better over tailpipe.

Mines going in next week. It's all stock so I hope it goes well.

I forgot to qualify my answer. Test only will only apply to vehicles registered in an enhanced area.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
I forgot to qualify my answer. Test only will only apply to vehicles registered in an enhanced area.

do you know what areas are enhanced here in cali?

You can look at the BAR website to determine enhanced, basic or change of ownership areas or type your zip code in to determine the area test type

BAR website