Calling anyone running a 3000 stall converter, what is your RPMs and behavior?

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have a 3000 stall converter that I just do not feel if it is ok. Something in my gut tells me something is wrong. It is new. It is a 10" converter. Here is what my concerns are

RPM at 70MPH 2500-2700. I did confirm that lockup was occurring through both testing voltage at the connector, as well as grounding out the A and F terminal and listening for the solenoid click KOEO pressing the brake. Power logger is showing lockup and 4th gear checked, when off the gas it goes out of lockup.

While driving highway speed i was switching the lockup on and off through the ALDL and noticed very minimal tone on the engine as well as RPM drop/rise which was only about 100 RPM. Going up hills to maintain 70-75 mph I am seeing 2700-2950 rpm to maintain that speed STAYING in 4th gear. It just seems like the engine is revving higher than I am used to. Is this seeming to be normal and I am just not used to a higher stall speed converter?

What rear gear are you running and what tire size(height)? 70mph at that rpm doesnt sound out of the ordinary.
3000 is a lot of stall. How large a turbo are you running?
Who put the converter together?

its the 3:42 gear with 245 50 16 tires. Turbo is a stocker hot air turbo we are using to break in the engine.( recommended by reed at work turbo charger) We will move to a 61mm in the next week or so. I only know enough to be dangerous so I may be expecting things from having the smaller turbo on there that it cannot deliver?

Do you feel the 4th gear shift? Seems like 4th gear is not applying even though you are getting a signal. When the converter is in lock-up, there is no stall speed. Good to see you have the motor finished and running.

I can feel a 4th gear shift confirmed by being able to shift out of OD with the gear shift to see RPM rise

Before you ran this converter, what was in it? Did it shift and lock correctly? I did a 10" for a while and never liked how it felt. Also had the not going into 4th issue. Went to a 12" and it was fine. Fast forward to a new engine and 9/11 billet and it also didn't go into 4th. Both the 10 and 9/11 locked in 3rd but wouldn't go into 4th consistantly. That tranny finally started to have an obvious pressure issue so I went with a new n/l trans and 9" converter and haven't looked back or missed the locking.

Before you ran this converter, what was in it? Did it shift and lock correctly? I did a 10" for a while and never liked how it felt. Also had the not going into 4th issue. Went to a 12" and it was fine. Fast forward to a new engine and 9/11 billet and it also didn't go into 4th. Both the 10 and 9/11 locked in 3rd but wouldn't go into 4th consistantly. That tranny finally started to have an obvious pressure issue so I went with a new n/l trans and 9" converter and haven't looked back or missed the locking.
This is a new Trans and tq so I have nothing to compare against. I get 4th gear shift...it's the RPM I question at lock up..it seems high to me. I question if the converter fins are not correct allowing it to slip? Again I know enough to be dangerous on Trans and converters.

If it is locked it isn't or at least shouldnt be slipping. How are you measureing rpms?

well when I shift manually from OD to D, there is a definite shift down. Then I get off an exit ramp and go from 3 to 2 then 2 to 1. I must be crazy. I need someone else to drive it,.

Post or pm me the log

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this first video is me coming onto the highway from entrance ramp building speed to 65 and going down a hill

Second video is starting to climb a hill at 65 mph and trying to hold steady at 65

THird video is from stop light to 70 mph flat ground

4th video is hitting 80 mph, seeing 2950 rpm on flat ground and shifting OD to D to 2 to 1

5th video is me climbing a moderate hill at 70 mph

PL a couple of them, attached as well.

Attachments

• 32715.dat
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 32815.dat
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
ok, So I have another perfectly good car running the same transmission, rear, etc sitting in front of my house. Why wouldnt I just take it out for a spin and see what those RPMs are at. They seem to be the same.

I guess the revs from a v6 sound or feel so much different to me than in a v8...IDK...who knows. Ill just drive it now.

Toby I ran my car at 75 mph on the highway and my rpm's were 2200 to 2300 on the scanmaster. I have a d-5 lu.