You can type here any text you want

Cam Bearings ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

007gn

Does the Buick 4.1 block take the same cam bearings as the Buick 3.8 109 block? & also do they oil the same or differ from each other ? Thanks ahead for all of your replies.

nope. you need a set for a 14 bolt block not a 20 bolt. Same ID but different OD's.

I want to say durabond B-12 is the right part number and 1782M for federal mogul.

With oiling you need to have a grooved front cam journal or grind a groove in the block to connect the PS oil gallery to the DS galley.

I use the TA rear groove bearings on 4.1's. Comp roller cams have no groove in the front journal. Grinding the groove in the block is a good way, but not easy. I think the TA cam bearings oil better, and may give a little better oil pressure at idle. They are also all as wide as the front bearing in all positions. It gives them more contact area with the block. They are a bit more costly though.

Grinding the block takes about 2 minutes with a hand held dremel and a stone. You just have to do it before the last time the block is washed. More oil pressure at idle comes from clocking the bearing differently and oiling through a smaller hole.
According to comp, their roller blanks don't have a grooved front journal. flat tappets have a grooved front journal. Thatt solves the oil transfer problem but lowers the amount of support area on the front bearings.

Can you groove the block and use the TA bearings, or is it one or the other? Got my 109 at the machine shop now.

Aren't all 109 blocks grooved from the factory? (it seems there was some sort of final machining differences with '86 .vs '87 in that regard)

the rule is you have to have a groove somewhere. It can be block, cam, or bearing. Personally I don't care for the grooved cam. To get oil to the other side it has to pass into the ID of the bearing, go back through the bearing (hemorrhages some through the bearing clearance) and what's left can feed the lifter rail. Not to mention having less load bearing area on the cam journal.
A groove going around the bearing offers a little more positive oil control and allows you to limit the amount of oil going to the front cam journal.

Back