You can type here any text you want

Cam / Cam kit recommendations

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
Lookin for a recommendaiton for a Cam/Cam kit. Have mild mods. Not looking to race the car. Just have high mileage.....would like to swap out the cam/valve springs.

Mods.
42.5lbs injectors
turbotweak chip
3" downpipe
hooker dual exhaust
Cold air intake kit
casper's hot wire kit and voltage booster
Walboro 255 fuel pump

I would think a 206/206 if you go roller or 208/208 if you go tappet. They are usually the 2 cams most on here suggest for a stock rebuild. They also like the 204/214 for a tappet.

If you like how the stock cam performs and want to make your power at low rpm look at speed-pro 194/204.

Thank you. Guess I should mention that it's a high mileage well running motor. Would like to freshen it up with a cam/Tchain/Vspring. Will keep the same turbo and converter.

Mods.
42.5lbs injectors
turbotweak chip
3" downpipe
hooker dual exhaust
Cold air intake kit
casper's hot wire kit and voltage booster
Walboro 255 fuel pump

If you going to run a dual pattern cam you typically want to run one that has higher duration and lift on the intake side and less on the exhaust forced induction motors respond better to those. however if your only planning on running a cam with no more than 450 lift stick with a single pattern TA sells a mild 206/ 434 lift cam thats similar to a cam poston made a few years back.

If you going to run a dual pattern cam you typically want to run one that has higher duration and lift on the intake side and less on the exhaust forced induction motors respond better to those. however if your only planning on running a cam with no more than 450 lift stick with a single pattern TA sells a mild 206/ 434 lift cam thats similar to a cam poston made a few years back.
Then why did Buick use a 192/196 originally :confused:

if your not porting the heads and nothing is wrong with the stock cam don't bother, the gains do not justify the expense, valve springs and done. As much as I would like to get a chance to sell you something I would rather not see you waste money that could be spent on items that will really help.
Mike

Well kieep in mind even though the 86/87 turbo cars were cuttung edge back then they were designed over 20 years ago.Back in the 60s there were countless muscle car engines that were upfitted with poorly designed cam specs. Check any major cam grinder turbo and supercharger grinds they all favor the intake side and on nitrous grinds they favor the exhaust.Thats not to take anything away from the engineers who designed on of the greatest cars/engines ever.

Well kieep in mind even though the 86/87 turbo cars were cuttung edge back then they were designed over 20 years ago.Back in the 60s there were countless muscle car engines that were upfitted with poorly designed cam specs. Check any major cam grinder turbo and supercharger grinds they all favor the intake side and on nitrous grinds they favor the exhaust.Thats not to take anything away from the engineers who designed on of the greatest cars/engines ever.
This info is not exactly accurate, just about every cam company uses 8 to 10 degrees more on the exhaust side for a supercharger cam, the needs for turbos and superchargers are very different. The short exhaust turbo cams started in the 60's. Your right about the Buick engineers being ahead of the times. Many current turbo engine builders are using a few more degrees on the exhaust due to the lower back pressure of the newer turbine wheels. In the end however it is not really about which one is bigger it is about when things happen as far as valves opening and closing during the combustion cycle. That is what really makes the difference
Mike

When I did a basic rebuild on my clone's engine last year, I went with a 206/206 flat tappet cam which I was told was a good stock replacement. I got the 206 comp cam kit from Cottons Performance. This spring I went 11.52 on a TE44 and 11.94 on a stock turbo with it, so it seemed to be the right choice. Good cam for a stock turbo and has good torque down low for the street and it seems like a lot of people recommend it.

Back