You can type here any text you want

cam change?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jayblack3333

Just gettin' addicted
I have my motor out at the machine shop getting work done (squaring, honing, bearings, etc....forged pistons) I guess you would call it a freshening up. I just bought the car, it is an 87 GN. I blew a head gasket after 2 days (What can I say, I like to go fast) and since then its had problems. My guys told me that my crank is no good and I had thrust and rod bearings shot. I am curious about the cam, should I change the cam while its all taken apart or leave the stock cam. If I should change it out, what size would be good for a 75% street car. I'm hoping to get a low 11 sec street car. I'm new to this turbo world and I need some direction.

What turbo? Injector size? TC?

Heads would benefit u way more then a cam. But there also alot more $$$

FYI..the stock head On our cars r the same heads that cam on the late 70s early 80s naturally aspirated 3.8s

Ive got a new 5857 turbo, 60lb injector, w/ TT chip. I believe its a stock TC, unless it was left out by the previous owner in the list of upgrades. It had a Te44 turbo so I would assume it was stock. The heads had some work done to them and the machine shop said they looked to have been done well. I am just curious if I would see any great gains or advantages to changing out the cam since its easily accessible at the moment. Ive heard the stock cam will run 10's with no probs? So I thought I would ask

You need to figure out why you had other problems. Its likely the crank thrust failure is not related to the head gasket failure. Post up pics before they proceed and you drop and $ off there.

Well I had a local shop do the head gasket for me. After I got the car back, it had a knock that i figured was bearings or maybe something with a piston that I broke while going too fast. So as soon as I got it back, I sent it to a guy that is much more familiar with our cars. I can try and sneak up to the shop to grab some pics this week, its a little bit of a drive away. Before the HG incident, it ran smooth (for the two days I got to drive it) so I assumed that driving it hard was the last straw on the lower end stuff. Long story short- Lots of $$ so far and not a lot of fun time.

OK, I've pretty much decided on a 206/210 roller cam set up..... with a stroker kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on the set up? Can I pull an 11 second ET with this set up that is smooth on the street or should I change something?

that stroker with that small cam will idle better than stock and rip your head off with that turbo. I would try a stock converter with that it might be ok
Mike

OK, I've pretty much decided on a 206/210 roller cam set up..... with a stroker kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on the set up? Can I pull an 11 second ET with this set up that is smooth on the street or should I change something?

with that cam and a stroker you can get a mid 11 on 15 psi of boost. put a 6785 billit wheel turbo and rip off mid to lowwwww 10's on moderate boost levels. alky or race gas and good fuel pump, injectors of course

I probably would have went with a little bigger turbo but its new and I bought it before the stroker and cam. So I guess I will just have to be happy with 11 sec. Maybe next I will throw some alky in and see what I can tear up lol. The addiction and financial drainage has just started for me.:D

Back