You can type here any text you want

Cam coating and install ?'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I've seen new cams with different coatings, but can someone explain what the black coating is on this erson cam? It's very rough. They also sent a small amount of assembly paste, but I have zpaste. Is the zpaste enough or use both? Lastly, T/A performance told me not to do the usual 20 mins @ 2k rpm to break in the cam. They said just install it and drive it moderately for a few hundred miles and then change oil with zddp as usual. Thoughts? TIA.

100%5E_2509.JPG

100%5E_2509.JPG

100%5E_2509.JPG

ugh, my pics won't post.

Below is a link to what the coating I'm referring to looks like but the coating on the erson is even thicker and rougher looking...

http://www.crower.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/4/54915_16.jpg

Follow the cam grinders reccomendation. It's their cam, they have to stand behind it. I like the ramps on the Erson cams. They are a little easier on the lifter than a comperable Comp grind. BUT.......a roller cam is the best way to go.

Use the Erson paste on both the cam and the lifter face. I would suggest also running it at 20 mins at 1800-2200 for 20 minutes IF it is a flat tappet cam. If it is a roller cam, then no break-in required. Everyone has their opinion about cam break-in. Good racing oil (Brad Penn, or Kendall racing) with ZDDP added will help.

Follow the cam grinders reccomendation. It's their cam, they have to stand behind it. I like the ramps on the Erson cams. They are a little easier on the lifter than a comperable Comp grind. BUT.......a roller cam is the best way to go.

Use the Erson paste on both the cam and the lifter face. I would suggest also running it at 20 mins at 1800-2200 for 20 minutes IF it is a flat tappet cam. If it is a roller cam, then no break-in required. Everyone has their opinion about cam break-in. Good racing oil (Brad Penn, or Kendall racing) with ZDDP added will help.

So should I call Erson or go with what T/A told me? Or just do a traditional break-in? It is flat tappet...I'm old school and cheap...

Back