Cam for my combo?

vader t

I just ordered a set of Champion Irons and decided that i should mix in a little cam while have everything apart. I really don't have the money to do a roller right now, that is unless you guys tell me thats the only way. (I guess ill have to make a visit to the blood bank:D ) I was thinking about goining to a 206/206 cam from weber. Is it worth saving and doing a roller? Come on GN experts. The rest of my combo is in my sig.

if your stock cam is good, stick with it...do not replace it with anything less than a roller and then only if your goals include 10 sec passes and lots of $$$$

i'm planning on keeping the car forever and ultimately i would like to have a low to mid 11's capable street machine. I talked with Red Armstrong today and he was actually the one who said it might make sense to do. Red also told me the stock cam has worked for many into the 10's but...... I just figured if i did the cam now i would save some time/money while i have the heads off.

The stock cam will only work if you run a 28in tall if you upgrade to a 210-205 or something similar it will increase your powerband to like 5800 were a stock cam is like 5000 that way if you want a low 11 sec car you can get it done with a more streetable tire even a drag radial I ran into the same problem with my dads car and a 26in tire it would only run 115 with the converter locked because when it hit 5000 it flatlined the rest of the track.

last time I checked, Red sells stuff......and that is ok

IMHO, do not replace the the stock cam with anything less than a billet roller

I personally like a little more cam than Woody.
I can not argue with how well his car runs though.
Regarding the money Woody is right on it!
I have had an issue with the old style budget roller.
From what I have heard the new ones by comp are nice.
Bill Anderson has installed several of these with out problems.
I just picked up a billet roller from Duttweiler for a project I am helping Chris Chow with.

The webber cam 206 would work for you butt I have never used anything smaller than a 218*. My goal were higher than yours so going with something between 206 & 210 would be logical.

Well Red wasn't really trying to "sell" me anything, cause it isn't even his part he was selling. I just wanted to know if it was worth putting in an old flat tappet cam, instead of a roller or should i just hold on to my money and not worry about it. I just want to make sure the old speed bug doesnt bite me again later and i wind up doing a cam anyway? Any other thoughts?

I would not spend the money on a roller for 11s.
You can achieve your goals with the stock cam.
If I were you I would put in a mild aftermarket
flat tappet cam and lifter kit for about $150 and call it a day.
206, 208 or 210 should work fine. Some people like the split duration speed pro cams. I have never used one so I can not say.

Have you not read and/or heard of the serious lifter bore misalignment probs with the LC2 motors?

And how many engines have ground cam lobes into dust, wiping out the entire bottom-end?

AZGN told you the truth...maybe not what you hoped to hear...but the TRUTH, nonetheless.

Tell you what...call Dutt's shop. Ask him about the newest cams he recommends.

Like AZGN, just spending my time trying to save you an expensive MESS later on!!!

I had a block that did not like the number 3 cam lobe!
If you are going to call duttweiler call before 9:00am Pacific and
try and talk to Kenny or have Nick ask Kenny. 805-659-3648
He is getting new roller cores from Comp.
I will report on ours once it is runnnig.
It is bigger than most, but that is what Kenny designed for us.

I dont know why everyone is acting like a roller cam is a must. I do have one now but I ran a Ruggles 210-205 for 4 years before the change with now problems. Like John said the kit is only like 150-200 with everything but a chain. My buddie also ran the cam in his car for a number of year and went as fast as a 10.58@128 with a TE-45 and a stretch intercooler. BTW I think Ruggles is now Reed Cams.