You can type here any text you want

cam gear / cam sensor gear / timing chain lubrication questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whitehot1

How does the cam gear , cam sensor gear and timing chain get oil to them?

When priming the oil system i didn't see any oil on the cam gear where the cam sensor gear meshes with it when installed or any oil on the timing chain,do these areas only get lubricated from the oil slinger when the engine is running? I get plenty of oil to all the lifters and rocker arms during the priming.

Also does the front cam bearing supply any oil to the cam gear or upper timing chain gear?

Inquiring mind wants to know.:D

Thanks in advance :smile:

Splash is the only lubrication. Some have drilled into the front of the block to get a direct flow of oil into that area. Some cam bearings have a groove machined into the back of them to increase oil flow to the cam thrust which will help oil the front of the engine. Coat the cam gear in moly paste before firing the engine.

oiling

There is a hole drilled (stock cam) at an angle from the front cam journal out to the cam sensor drive gear. The chain gets most of it lube from the slinger. Also there may be some oil make its way into the front cover from the turbo oil return. Since the eng. sits at an angle, I wouldn't suspect very much. When using a billet roller, I run a small lube line to shoot directly onto the area where the 2 gears mesh. I wore out 3 sets of gears before doing this.

There is a hole drilled (stock cam) at an angle from the front cam journal out to the cam sensor drive gear. The chain gets most of it lube from the slinger. Also there may be some oil make its way into the front cover from the turbo oil return. Since the eng. sits at an angle, I wouldn't suspect very much. When using a billet roller, I run a small lube line to shoot directly onto the area where the 2 gears mesh. I wore out 3 sets of gears before doing this.

Yep. Me too. Stole that idea from you as a matter of fact. :p Thanks! Used a 1/8 copper line from the oil sender block to the front cover pointing at the gears.
100_0534.jpg

You can see the stream here
100_0523.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies and especially for the tips on getting extra oiling to those gears and timing chain and the pictures are great!

I'm definately going to use your example to install a oil line to the top of the front cover:smile:

Back