You can type here any text you want

Cam recommendations?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hmm. Well of course all roller chains are not equal. Lots of Chinese junk out there that "looks" ok, but isn't. That's why I have always stuck with a Cloyes Tru-roller chain and gears for my V8 SBC engines. One of those redlined at 8000 moving a 0.580/0.600 lift cam. Notionally, I would guess that the stress on the chain has to be smaller when moving 12 lifters instead of 16. And the intended redline for my V6 is only going to be about 5400 with relatively mild valve lift under 0.500". That is why I momentarily considered using a factory nylon chain. I will certainly go with the experience of this group though and look for a Cloyes - if they even make one for a Buick 3.8...

Umm no. Not the v6's i was referring to. No Chinese junk and well over 7000 rpm and .700 lift. They had rollmasters on them and they surely arent Chinese junk. They are the best timing sets ive ever seen. At least as good as a Cloyes. Any hard running iron headed stock block will be fine with a Cloyes or any of the available roller sets. Ive ran them all from Edelbrock to Cloyes to Rollmaster. Im not against the factory chain at all. Never seen one of those fail even after running on a stock nylon tooth gear that had 70% of its teeth gone.

Cloyes true roller vs. Comp Cam 3129

Hello Bison,
I am in the process of choosing a timing set. Which one will you choose, Cloyes true double roller or the Comp Cam 3129 double roller chain set?
And on the flat tappet cam, how is the TA Performance 208/208 .449"/.449" with 112 L/S? I have'nt hear any news about that cam. Wondering how reliable and is it a great performance cam. Any idea what brand is that cam? I don't want to run into flat cam lobes again. I will be using the Zpaste and the ZZP additive for prevention.

I bought the T/A 208 cam in 07. it was a Shnieder cam. Seem to run strong until it flattened in less than a 1000 miles. Im sure TA does sell great products but...And I did all I could do for proper break in and those were my results.

I would suggest that you talk to one of the people that builds these engines and take the advice of bison and some of the others that have tried and have run these cars with success. They will not steer you in the wrong direction.

Another opinion, once I felt a hyd. roller vs a flat tappet I will never go back. IMOfFlat tappets are lazy compared to rollers as far as throttle response. In dealing with the 109 and all its special preperations during a build-up there is no vodoo dance to starting the new engine with a roller, just start it and go. No mystery snake oils, no swaping in lighter valve springs for break-in, no BS 2k rpm for 20min while shaking a chicken bone and praying to sweet Jesus it doen't wipe a cam lobe, but then that could happen 2k miles down the road if those flat tappet lifters don't rotate properly.
Do yourself a favor, put in a small hyd. roller, buy everything from 1 vendor and ask them for install instructions.
Mike

Roll Master--IMO

Hmm. Well of course all roller chains are not equal. Lots of Chinese junk out there that "looks" ok, but isn't. That's why I have always stuck with a Cloyes Tru-roller chain and gears for my V8 SBC engines. One of those redlined at 8000 moving a 0.580/0.600 lift cam. Notionally, I would guess that the stress on the chain has to be smaller when moving 12 lifters instead of 16. And the intended redline for my V6 is only going to be about 5400 with relatively mild valve lift under 0.500". That is why I momentarily considered using a factory nylon chain. I will certainly go with the experience of this group though and look for a Cloyes - if they even make one for a Buick 3.8...

I have used both Roll Master and Cloyes--Roll Master is by far the best chain. In my experience the Cloyes will continue to stretch as time goes on. The Roll Master will stretch a small amount early, then no more. Also the Roll Master has the correct thickness crank gear where as some otheres are thinner, causing crank sensor rubbing problems.

Yikes! I just ordered the TA 208 cam & lifters. But they are out of stock, may take 2 weeks to restock. Should I cancel the order and get another flat tappet cam?

Back