You can type here any text you want

Cam Sensor Help, Please!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jwd

Still Cruisin'
I pit cam sensors in several dozen times and never had any issues. However, I've just started putting my engine back together after fresh rebuild. I fought with lining up the cam sensor for a bit and now have in place. Now that its in its very hard to rotate while using my caspers cam tool. I'm having to use channel locks to rotate! I did lube the o-ring before I inserted into hole. Should it be that hard to rotate? Do you guys think something isn't lined up correctly? Or should I not worry and go with it?

Thanks in advance

FYI, motor is on engine stand

Remove the cam senser and try to rotate the oil pump. If it turns freely the cam senser is the source of the bind.

If it's a new aftermarket front cover, I've had to hone them with a brake cylinder hone before. They were too tight from the manufacturer.

If it's a new aftermarket front cover, I've had to hone them with a brake cylinder hone before. They were too tight from the manufacturer.

Or the cover was not machined properly, as sometimes the cam sensor will not even seat at all.

If it requires a hone to fit, or it fits very tight, better remove it after it is run for a while to be sure it is not slightly mis-aligned and causing excessive wear on the cam sensor and/or the cam gears. :eek:

I used a flapper wheel in a drill to open mine up...worked great, just go slow.

Remove the cam senser and try to rotate the oil pump. If it turns freely the cam senser is the source of the bind.

The oil pump turns freely.

This was the same timing cover/cam sensor that has always been on the motor with no issues up until now. It took me quit awhile to get it lined up properly and once it was in then I realized how hard it was to rotate.

Thanks for the responses

Please disregard my previous post...I misread the basis/intent of your problem

Back