You can type here any text you want

Cam sensor repair or replace...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HouTX87

My cam sensor ticks for a few minutes after a cold start. I know it's not a big deal but it's been on my to do list. I have 46k miles and I believe it is the original sensor based on the service records that I have. My question is should I do the repair kit rjc sells or would it be wise to replace the entire sensor as preventive maintenance? I saw that nos4gn has the complete acdelco sensor assembly with the shaft. Either way would I also need to buy the tool to reset the timing?

Could someone please explain what usually causes the ticking in the cam sensor?

Paul Lohr

I started having issues with my cam sensor once I started revving past the stock shift points...which is normal. 5800-6000rpm... The locator tab on the sensor was worn upon inspection. RJC does make a repair kit.

You need a cam tool or v meter to set...

Joe

If you position the motor at tdc on #1, you can line up the cam sensor a certain way to install it and it'll work. Sorry I don't know the exact procedure, but they didn't have cam sensor tools at the factory. They just lined them up and installed them. May engine guy did mine this way. If you can't find the procedure by searching, let me know and I'll call him and get the answer.

Could someone please explain what usually causes the ticking in the cam sensor? Paul Lohr

I doubt that you will receive an answer to your question?

We had a couple GN's 25 years ago when the cars were new with the same issue. Our cure then was to replace the entire cam sensor.

When installing a cam sensor, the engine should be set at 25 degrees AFTER TDC. Instructions are with the Casper's cam setting tool, or you can also use a voltmeter.

When the sensor fails is it generally just the cap that goes bad? Will replacing the cap fix the ticking noise or is it from a worn shaft assembly?

The sensor in the cap can go bad but the cap itself in not a wearable part. The shaft develops up and down play or the tab breaks off the wheel.

I have a Caspers tool if you need it. I have no use for it.

RL

If you position the motor at tdc on #1, you can line up the cam sensor a certain way to install it and it'll work. Sorry I don't know the exact procedure, but they didn't have cam sensor tools at the factory. They just lined them up and installed them. May engine guy did mine this way. If you can't find the procedure by searching, let me know and I'll call him and get the answer.

Post #14 has the info here

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/help-setting-cam-sensor.323710/

Bryan

I doubt that you will receive an answer to your question?

We had a couple GN's 25 years ago when the cars were new with the same issue. Our cure then was to replace the entire cam sensor.

When installing a cam sensor, the engine should be set at 25 degrees AFTER TDC. Instructions are with the Casper's cam setting tool, or you can also use a voltmeter.

This is following with Nick's comments of Casper's web site http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=653 Cam Tool refurbished $22.95 site also has a PDF installation.

Awesome! The hard part is getting the right information sometimes. I'd rather understand how to do something the way it was designed rather than have a cheater tool that may not always be there. Glad people are passing down the original service information.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't used this method yet but will be on Wednesday.

Bryan

Awesome! The hard part is getting the right information sometimes. I'd rather understand how to do something the way it was designed rather than have a cheater tool that may not always be there. Glad people are passing down the original service information.

I too have used the line-up method to set the cam sensor, never a problem. One trick is that before the cam sensor is removed, is to put the engine on TDC #1. Remove the cam sensor cap and use the line-up to make sure that it is on TDC #1, not on #4.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back