You can type here any text you want

cam sensor won't seat on oil pump shaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jordan_J

Ok, I can't figure out how to get the effing cam sensor to seat all the way. I have the dot facing the passenger side, the cap is off so I can see what the dot is doing a little as it meshes with the cam gear but I can't for the life of me get it to seat on to the oil pump shaft. Is there any trick to it? Seriously this is all I have left before I can start the car back up and so it's really annoying! :mad:

I winged it and after 2 or 3 trys it fell in place. I basically guessed where the sensor shaft slot would end up after meshing with the cam gear and with a long screwdriver turned the pump shaft to that same point. It took a few trys but after turning the pump shaft as close as possible it dropped right in. Put some oil on the sensor oring to help it slide in easier as well.

Good job. That's exactly how you do it. I hold the can sensor over my head and look at the pump drive slot orientation, then turn the oil pump to that position. It usually slides right in. There is nothing to align with the can gear though. It doesn't matter what tooth alignment is. I put the window in the sensor pointing at the alternator pulley so the cap wires are easy to reach, but the sensor can be any where. You'll just have to rotate the sensor to set the 25* mark.

I winged it and after 2 or 3 trys it fell in place. I basically guessed where the sensor shaft slot would end up after meshing with the cam gear and with a long screwdriver turned the pump shaft to that same point. It took a few trys but after turning the pump shaft as close as possible it dropped right in. Put some oil on the sensor oring to help it slide in easier as well.

X2

Also I have found that a 1.5 inch PVC pipe about 1.5 Feet long works really well to help push the sensor in without any damage.
hope it helps:)

I always first try to get it in without the o-ring on it just to make sure it goes in and seats properly. Once that is confirmed, I remove it, reinstall the o-ring (a little oil on it is a good tip) and try to duplicate the feat. It can be a bit of a struggle sometimes, but if it goes in without the o-ring, I know the cam gear and front cover are in the correct position/alignment.

i apply downward pressure on the sensor while i have someone bump the starter.

Turn the engine a 1/4 turn right & try it then same thing left & try it. Usually takes me 4-5 tries & then it pops right in. I know they can be frustating one day & slip right in the next time? I wouldn't force it with PCV pipe myself but each guy has his own way.

I use a screw driver to line up the pump drive where I want it. Pull the cap off the sensor and make a mark with a sharpee to indicate cam sensor slot orientation. Line it up and turn the sensor wheel 1/4" CCW, then drop it in. As the gears mesh the sensor wheel will rotate 1/4" CW and slip right into position on the pump drive. reinstall cap and set sensor with caspers tool.

Are you using a factory timing cover, or an aftermarket replacement? I just went through this with an aftermarket cover. Their problems are well documented, and many have misaligned cam sensor holes. Mine was so bad, that the sensor would not fit even with the o ring off. It was pressed hard against the driver's side of the housing. I removed it and reinstalled an old GM cover on the motor. The sensor more or less drops in, now. Pushed it in with very light hand pressure on the second try. Of course, I also had to reset the camshaft end play with the cover swap, as the aftermarket and oem units were way different in the thrust area. What a giant pain in the rear. Thankfully, my engine was on a stand, and not in the car. Good luck. Rudy.

Well I got it in with a little bit of downward force. It must have been a combination of the O-ring and oil pump drive not being perfectly aligned. Thanks again for the help!

Glad you got it in. I had the same issue as counterman with an aftermarket cover. The cam sensor hole was milled so far off that it would not even come close to seating correctly. It was like 1/4" offset.

Back