camshaft and spring selection

JSD69Vette

I posted recently about an engine rebuild and have some additional questions on camshaft, spring and head gasket selection for a mid 12 daily driver, keeping stoke rotating assembly with ported irons and forged pistons. Signature has the rest of the car parts.

I've read alot about guy's on this sight replacing the stock camshaft with a 206 flat tappet. Could someone please explain who makes the camshaft, where can one be bought and will it be too rough an idle for a DD? I've seen Poston's camshaft, but they are not designated as such. FT has some but I thought that they were full rollers. I've got to check Cottons.

what about valve springs?

Also, what about copper verses RJC's SS head gasket. Would the SS be overkill for my application?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

go with 204/214 from frankg on the board great cam especially if you have heads

I have heard many good things about the 204/214 as well....

If you choose that cam.... you can go with the Comp 980 springs.... w/o the stock spring cups.... this seems to be a popular choice.

HTH

where can I find that cam?

There are vendors here like mentioned..... frankg.....

You can also find it at Northern Autoparts..... Sealed Power brand cam... order the HT969 sealed power lifters as well....and a bottle of the sealed power cam break-in lube too.....

I don't know whether frang sells the lifters too or not....

HTH

i personnely think you cant go wrong with a 206/206 on a DD. but its your choice.

Give Mike Licht a call.... he sells alot of comp.... they have a 206/206 comp... they have a newer 206/212 X1 Comp..... he can make a good recommendation..... Like others.... I think it is going to be hard to beat something around a 204-206 duration (.050) for a daily driver.... no noticible idle.... and that thing will suck your eyeballs back in the midrange....

how about the RJC SS head gasket versus the copper head gasket, overkill or good insurance?

I've heard good things about the RJC....

What are your goals?

What is your entire intended combo?

Your desired HP level should lead you to most important parts decisions....the key is to find someone on here at your intended power level (or higher) that is willing to take the time to help you along the way.....there are plenty of opinions here....:smile:

cam & gaskets

for the goal of a mid 12 second DD, either previously mentioned cam would work fine (since mid 12's is easily attainable with a stock cam) and the idle characteristics would be very similar to the stock cam. i have been pleased with using the felpro 9441 head gaskets. not as indestructible as the copper or RJC gaskets but will do a great job for your intended goal (and a blown head gasket is better to have to deal with than a damaged block, rotating assy or head IMO).
bw jones