You can type here any text you want

Can I powder coater brake drums?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

troyk

I just bought new drums from nos4gn, I noticed that they are 2 pieces glued together. Will I have problems with the glue separating when they bake the coating?

The glue I'm talking about, is the gluing that holds face plate to the hoop.

Are you talking about the shoes? The drums are made out of cast iron or aluminum so there's no way I know of that they could be glued together.

In most cases the center is a thin steel plate and the ring's cast around it. If you try a glue then the heat from the brakes would cause issues. Even the "composite" rotors that were used on the early FWD GM W chassis used the same method for making the rotors.

Also, It's just not worth it to powder coat them. They will get ugly no matter what. Instead, paint them with black appliance epoxy from home depot. It looks bad ass when you lay it on thick. UV breaks it down but I wouldn't worry about it behind the wheel. I did my driveshaft and I swear it looks powder coated! Takes a long time to dry though. A full 24 hours.

On the 1st pic near the center of the pic, you can see some black stuff smeared down the faceplate. The 2nd pic just shows where the 2 pieces meet on the opposite side.
They are at the powder shop right now, I told them to put the job on hold till we figure out what to do.

Also, It's just not worth it to powder coat them. They will get ugly no matter what. Instead, paint them with black appliance epoxy from home depot. It looks bad ass when you lay it on thick. UV breaks it down but I wouldn't worry about it behind the wheel. I did my driveshaft and I swear it looks powder coated! Takes a long time to dry though. A full 24 hours.

I just painted the rear end with oil based enamel, is that the wrong paint to use? I want to paint the bottom of the car next.

The drums are coated in cosmoline. Hit it with some brake cleaner and it will go away.;)

As far as the paint goes, you should be fine. I like to use the enamel I get at tractor supply. If it'll hold up to a tractor or farm equipment, it should work fine for a car.:D A gallon of that stuff goes a long way, believe me.:ROFLMAO:

I just bought new drums from nos4gn, I noticed that they are 2 pieces glued together. Will I have problems with the glue separating when they bake the coating?

The glue I'm talking about, is the gluing that holds face plate to the hoop.

Hello Troy,
We learned of your post and wanted to address this asap to clarify any mis-information. You ordered and received ACDelco Brake drums. These Brake drums are NOT 2 pieces glued together. There is NO Glue whatsoever.
These are a 1 piece iron casting. What you are seeing may be oil residue from the machining process. Hope this information is helpful.

nos4gn / Highway Stars

Cerakote

I have a business doing this coating just haven't started doing the high temp stuff yet but can it goes on the same.
image.jpg

Back