You can type here any text you want

can i reuse cork oil pan gaskets ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
bought one of those 1/4'' thick cork oil pan gaskets from tr custom parts, I put rtv on it and installed it on a block I have sitting on a engine stand earlier in the year. motor has never left the stand or had any oil or other fluids it in, do you guys think it will be ok to remove it from that engine and install on another one ? At $33 a pop I would hate to have and buy another one if this one can be reused. Thanks

I can't answer this in a way that I'd 100% guarantee but I know what I'd do. I'd remove the gasket and if it stays formed I'd toss it and get a new one but if it came back to its original shape I'd use it again.

Not with the RTV on it! Im pretty sure when you go to remove it some of the cork is gonna want to stay with the block.

There's a chance you can extract it using a razor blade and some patience.

But, have you measured your oil pickup to pan clearance with that thick gasket in place? You might not want to run it when you do.

Never even thought about the pickup to pan clearance, how close to the pan should the pickup be ?

Absolutely not! It has taken a set.....that's it.....what's cheaper, a $33 gasket, or a $4000 engine rebuild. Think about it.....always start with a new gasket. Period. Preventative procedure. As a past engineer, I never suggested nor recommended reusing gaskets for anything in my designs/projects..........it's very cheap insurance against mechanical failure. Under pressure, they take a set, and it's almost never guaranteed that they will seal properly again......sure, you can take a chance, but is it worth the worry?

Get a new gasket pronto. Just my opinion.....not ring and pinion. Of course, the LESS I say, the happier everyone else is.......

Bruce '87 Grand National

Those thick cork gaskets seem to work very well. However, I hate the price and waiting on the UPS guy to finish a project. On my last engine I used the right stuff instead of a pan gasket. Worked great but I bet it would be a real pain in the ass to remove the pan in chassis if you had to....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use cork gaskets dry (no rtv) on a clean surface and have no issues. Maybe next time leave out the rtv?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Those thick cork gaskets seem to work very well. However, I hate the price and waiting on the UPS guy to finish a project. On my last engine I used the right stuff instead of a pan gasket. Worked great but I bet it would be a real pain in the ass to remove the pan in chassis if you had to....

Same here. I swore off pan gaskets after doing three FelPro's in one day. What's odd is when I built my 4.2 with no pan gasket. I had to spend about and hour 'stretching' the S-shaped pickup to close up the gap. I don't recall the original gap, but with an extra 1/4" of gasket I estimate that it would have been around one mile.

I used the Fel-Pro molded silicone gasket fo one reason only. Per Richard Clark it's the only gasket he will use and recommend.

went ahead and ordered a new one from kirbans while I was getting some other parts, thanks for your replies. also how are you guys running without a pan gasket ? whats the right stuff ?

knew they had headgaskets but never seen the oil pan, already bought 1 but who sell those
I have a Cometic pan gasket. They are practically indestructable, made from Kevlar and I've had the pan off a few times and reused it. Hasn't leaked a drop in 5 years. I forget where I got it.

I have a Cometic pan gasket. They are practically indestructable, made from Kevlar and I've had the pan off a few times and reused it. Hasn't leaked a drop in 5 years. I forget where I got it.
Summit, JEGS, full throttle etc.

Back