You can type here any text you want

Can I Stuff a 285-30-18 Tire In Front of My 84 GN?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I have Ridetch's new TruTun front suspension with their 3-way adjustable coil-overs and their 1.5" diameter MuscleBar. Ridetech advertises that you can get 275 tire with their package.

I have already modified the plastic fender liner for more room. Going to go with X-Rays fender extender. 14+P Baer front brakes with stock height spindle. Will be purchasing CCW's 3-piece wheel...thinking about 10" (maybe 11"?) wide rims.

Anyone already done this?

Conrad

If it clears the muscle bar it will fit. I have an H&R bar on there now and thats the thing from stops it from fitting at the moment. I actually planned on putting a muscle bar in there and trying again.

We have different a-arms but its simmilar. I have a stock spindle with baers too, adustable uppers and tubular lowers with coil overs.

You dont need his extensions on there, might look better with them though. A heat gun works wonders on the plastic liners, at least as a way to test fit them.

Dave,

The "Wheelhouse Extensions" are for the top portion of the wheel well where the metal inner part meets the plastic. The heat gun will not work on the metal portion which is where the added clearance takes place mostly. This extension kit removes that metal portion that comes inward towards the tire and arched towards the inner portion of the wheel well to the plastic causing a lowered car to rub there. the new extension kit actually goes more in a straight up arch to allow for more clearance. You might be thinking of his "Patch panels" for the rear section of the front wheelhouse?

Scot,
What wheel spec would you use to order 18" CCW front wheels if running Rival 275-35-18? Thinking about 9.5 to 10" wide rim. FWIW, BFG recommends 9" to 11" width for 275 tire.

I don't see the next larger tire (a 295-35-18) fitting in the front w/o flaring the fender. How about you?

Conrad

Scot,
What wheel spec would you use to order 18" CCW front wheels if running Rival 275-35-18? Thinking about 9.5 to 10" wide rim. FWIW, BFG recommends 9" to 11" width for 275 tire.

I don't see the next larger tire (a 295-35-18) fitting in the front w/o flaring the fender. How about you?

Conrad
I would suggest a 9.0 to 9.5" wheel for the Rival tire. BFG ran more narrow than my TOYO tires and my 295/35-18 fit Perfect on my 10" CCW wheel. So I bet a 275/35-18 BFG will fit perfect on a CCW 9" wheel...

A 295 tire up front on a Regal is a lofty goal but I bet a 275 is doable and Plenty of tire for any car in front.

Scot,
Too much is just enough! Try putting the 295's in front when you get a chance! Curious what will be in the way.

I have a 8.5" x 18" wheel up front with 245-40-18 Riken Raptor. The wheel is slightly wider than it needs to be. I cannot see putting a 275-35-18 on a 9" wide wheel. BFG's Rival site recommends 9" to 11" rim for 275. They publish tire width of 10.9" @ 9.5" wide wheel. I would think 9.5 to 10 would be optimal. All things being equal, a slightly wider wheel is better than a slightly narrower wheel.
Conrad
ps...what is your front wheel offset or BS? How close is the upper tierod brace to rim under full wheel lock?

I tried putting my C5 19" x 10" wheel with Michelin Pilot Sport 295-30-19 tire on my 84GN. Used a thick adaptor and the wheel/tire went on ok. The fender extension that I got last week (but not installed yet) will come in REAL handy as outside of tire is very close to fender. Tried turning wheel but something was interfering. I will check more tomorrow to find the problem.
Conrad

Curious....has anyone installed the fender extender and did it help with a wider wheel/tire?
Conrad

I'm running 19x8 front rim 255 wide tire, and 19x10 rear rim 295 wide Toyo R888.

I'm going to send my front rims back to the shop and have them widened to a 19x9 rim... Was wondering if I should run a 265 or 275 tire?

Back