You can type here any text you want

Can Oil Coolers Be Cleaned are They Needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
So I lost a cam lobe and performed a complete rebuild.
I have an aluminum dequick radiator that is great shape with the internal oil cooler. I don't really want metered debris entering the new engine.
Is there any way to effectively clean the cooler?
Is the cooler really needed?

I don't believe there is any effective way to clean the cooler. The cooler is not needed.

Last edited:
Machines to clean trans coolers exist and under most circumstances, they do a fine job and I've done engine oil coolers with them as well. Depends on the internal design of the cooler and what went through it. If it were mine I'd hook it to one of those machines and see what comes out of it. If you get hardly anything out of it and it runs clean for a couple cycles, I'd run it. But it's easier for me to say that when I have access to the machines and can make my own judgement call based on what comes out of it. The good trans flush machines will heat cycle the cooler while flushing it and switch flow directions automatically and even blast air through them momentarily.

If you have a trans shop nearby with a GOOD flush machine, it wouldn't hurt to stop and ask them. Otherwise you can live without the cooler.

first you have to ask yourself if an $80 cooler is worth losing another engine and turbo....

....then ignore how wasteful it feels to toss a used cooler that's seen trash.

Back