You can type here any text you want

Can rod bolts be replaced without rebuilding rods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOP4ever

Wondering if rod bolts can be simply replaced in stock rods?
Also what is the length of stock rod bolts and is there a proper stretch specification for the stock bolts.
Thanks

I would resize the rods with new bolts.Its cheap about 10 bucks a rod
If you use stock bolts be careful on Assembly to center the bolt by tapping back and forth while torquing.
Go with ARP bolts and they will self center I think 45 FT Lbs is the spec

I did an experiment that shows that you can change from the stock bolts to ARP bolts without changing the roundness or dimension of the big end.

I resized a full set of stock 2 dot rods with the stock bolts torqued to 45 lbs/ft. I then removed the stock bolts and installed the ARP's with oil and torqued them to the same value. The big end roundness and dimensions did not change any detectable amount. All measurements were taken on a Sunnen Rod Gauge (which is accurate to a .0001")

The Buick Motorsports Book says that the stock bolts are a very good quality and that ARP bolt are overkill for the stock rods. I've never seen anyone have a failure with the stock bolts that was related to the bolt itself.

Back