Car Overheating

tl14910

I've been having overheating problems with my car lately. My stock radiator cracked so i bought a new 3 core all aluminum one. I thought that was the problem but the car still runs hot. Im not familiar with cooling systems so im not sure where to start to diagnose it first. Any tips?

Thermostat sticking? It's located in the front of the intake. Hard to see, just follow the upper radiator hose. Get a new 160* from a Turbo Buick vendor. They are specific to our cars. Start here 1st.

Water pump going out? Usually they leak to give you a sign.

Worst case scenario... headgasket(s) are blown. Water in the oil? Losing water (external leak at heads or burning it)? Bubbling into the overflow tank? If any of these symptoms are present, it's a headgasket issue.

Is it possible to have air in the system after the new radiator install? Have you tried running with cap off for a while? Just thought it would be best to check the simplest thing first.

how hot is it getting?
is it actually boiling over, or are you just freaking out over seeing 200 degrees on the gauge or something like that?
if it isn't boiling over, it's not overheating- it's just running hotter than you think it should be.
if it is boiling over, is it because it's really hot (like 230-240), or is the radiator cap just not holding in pressure?
when does it run hot? when sitting still? when driving down the road? all the time?
does the fan come on when it gets hot?
how long does it take to "overheat" from a cold start?

The stock fans on these cars do not just quit all of a sudden! They go out slowly and by that I mean they will start out with good rpms (speed) and after about a half hour or longer they will slow down and the rpms will be considerably low and cause the car to run hot, This gradually gets worse over time. Seen this time and time again and just recently gave a customer my old stock fan that was sitting here and he has no more hot issues. His was still working, Just not as good as it should!! So just because you see & hear it moving don't mean it's up to par...

+ It could also be other things like the others have pointed out...

Scot W.

Hopefully the OP comes back so we can help him. Better yet, maybe he fixed it.