Car pulls harder at part throttle than at WOT

Torvus

The car is stock, except with the addition of an Alky kit, a Pit Bull, and some exhaust work. It has an adj. wastegate and FP regulator as well. I can stomp on it, and the car pulls well to 10# but anything above that it runs better if I back off the throttle. This happens both with and without the alky. At part throttle when the alky turns on (10#) the car pulls hard. IMO it seems like a lack of fuel, and at WOT it's not getting enough fuel to match air flow. O2 readings are useless on the t-link, they bounce from double digits (like 23) to around 750 and everything in between. Fuell pressure was set for the chip by previous owner (at 45 I believe) but I have a guage on its way. Pump is new stock with hot wire kit. Even with the SMC pump speed at 10 at WOT it still runs better when I back off the throttle a bit. Any other thoughts on this? No codes either.

You need to shoot that puppy. :) Pitt Bulls are known for having a little too much timing. Maybe you should get a Alky chip burned or get one with a less timing. What PSI are you running. You can run high psi with low timing or low pis with alot of timing. Find out which one your cars likes. My car ran like a dog with the ATR chip after the 2nd shift. Put a MM chip with lauch boost and it ran like a champ.

Yeah, everyone I've spoken to has disliked the Pit Bull chip. It's a 93 chip, and it seems to run fine in first, but second gear pulls harder when I let off. Just did a couple of test runs backing the boost down a bit. Nothing out of the ordinary on the T-link. BLMs are around 115 the whole time. Going to pull off the K&N and make sure that it isn't causing the problem.

Why don't you disable the Alky for now and get the car running topnotch without it? If you are having ing. or fuel problems the Alky will just compound the problem. Goodluck:cool:

I backed the boost down to 14 and disabled the alky system. Car runs the same. Between 10 and 15#'s it pulls harder if you let off the throttle (in second gear) a bit. Frist gear goes by too quick for the turbo to spool above 10. Hmmm.....I'm changing the springs this week, but RPM's are so low it shouldn't bet the springs causing this. Either too much fuel or not enough. BLM's are around 112 cruising and MAF only showed 114 on the last run with TPS at 4.25 but that was at low RPM as well (2400) I'm searching the board for any other indications of this problem. I appreciate the help.

You don't say what RPM it is where the power is lacking. How old are your valve springs? My car needs valve springs because I can tell the top end is slowly disappearing. From a dead stop my car is grat nut flattens out by 4000 RPM now. If I down shift on the highway it has no real pull if the revs are high.

Around 2400-3000 is when it starts becoming apparent. Not sure if they have ever been replaced and have 155k miles on them. Not sure why letting off the throttle makes more power and the car to pull harder if it's the valve springs. I can tell the springs are shot, in fact, I have to let off a bit in the top of 2nd to get the car to shift, I think it's because the springs can't handle the RPM's needed to shift.

Sounds like the springs need replacing either way. Good time to replace the timing chain also. You say your getting 0 KR with a reading of 750 from the 02. Doesn't sound like the timing is being pulled back. Any exhaust leaks?

New timing chain installed last weekend. I'm going to replace the O2 sensor Monday, along with the installation of the FP guage. I spoke with the guy I bought it from and he said that he thought that he set up static at 45psi. These are also the stock injectors. Without the alcohol and boost pulled back to 14, it does the same thing. Still no KR. Then I received a bunch of ECM failures and voltage went from 13.6 to .1 in T-link, but it looks like that could have been a loose connector on the T-link.

Here's something strange, from one of the last runs, no error codes on the t-link, but my MPH increment from 0, 6, 17, 74, 74... in sequential frames. Not sure how fast these cars can be, but if the update time is 1.5 seconds, I seriously doubt my stocker can go from 17mph to 74 mph in less than 1.5 seconds. Going to check and see if I see that anywhere else in the spreadsheet.

Another two instances show a jump from 12-52MPH before recording again, and 16-63. This is really weird. That explains why I only show TPS of 4.xx momentarily on the sheet. What's up with this?

Yeah, these are all readings form a T-link. I am planning on checking all grounds later tonight. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the injectors. I have a grudge race on Wed. night of next week and doubt I can get them in before then unfortunately. The springs will keep me busy enough. I've tried all the other basic troubleshotting, coil is new, wires are new, plugs are new and gapped, pulled the k&N, shut off the alcohol, backed the boost down, but no matter what I do the car runs better when you don't give it WOT. grrrrrrrrr.....

I have had a car pull harder at part throttle when the cam was going and in a truck when it had a burnt valve. I am sure its your springs in this case.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I appreciate the help and I hope that the springs resolve the problem. If not it looks like I'll have to pull the cam which isn't fun.

YOU say that your 02 values are anywhere from 23 to 750 at WOT??

if so, then your ground wires are not connected at the pass side head- this will make the 02 value decrese more during the pass-

as in starts out at 750 around 20mph, then at 80MPH it goes down to 400 or so- no knock-- check the grounds-

ive noticed that some cars just feel pretty good at 1/2 throttle, actually will spin the tires more at 1/2 than full throttle-

your running too rich is my guess, pull a spark plug and what color is it?
got new plugs in it?

let us know
BW

I'm hoping it's the ground, since the Tlink is giving me some freaky readings from the ECM (dropping Voltage to 1.0). The new plugs did the same and I tried going back to the old plugs. Even with the Tlink readings freaking out the car runs the exact same, so maybe it is the tlink. I started another thread on that issue. 02 readings have never been steady during WOT on the tlink since I've had the car. I apprecaite the help and will be busting my arse to get ready for next Wed night ( I can't bare to lose to a stock 4.6 stang and a VW)

Well if the numbers drop the faster you go, then i guarantee those grounds on the back of the pass side head are not grounded correctly

I'll check as soon as I get home which is in about 30-45 minutes. As far as 02 readings, they have no consistancy with RPM or speed. They just vary dropping into the double digits even while cruising. The ECM issue is bugging me worse since this problem just showed up this evening. I'm trying to get an ECM shipped to me by next week to be sure.