Car stutters while cruising

75K miles on motor. Yes, timing gears did cross my mind, but instinct and the symptoms are telling me otherwise.

It's not the TC, because I've done the "gradually accelerating and giving more throttle without dropping out of OD and unlocking the TC" thing and the car responds as it should...sluggish, but no bucking.

Also, I've done the brake pedal test while crusing. The TC unlocks and RPMs jump just a tad and then it locks back up immediately after letting off the brake. It's also not sticking because from a roll or stop, it accelerates just fine even under light throttle.

Indeed, mine TC locks up fairly early too leading to somewhat sluggish performance in the 45-55mph range but am upgrading to my Red Stripe shortly. Like I said before, I really don't think it is the TCC solenoid by the way it is acting and it only does it after going into boost and then backing down to cruising speed. Then it goes away after a minute or two. In theory, it almost seems like the MAF is acting cruddy and having a hard time re-adjusting to the different airflow coming in especially after drastic changes in flow (i.e.-boost). Any input/experience on using different MAF sensors?

I seem to be experiencing this phenomenon also. I don't see anyone posting what gears this happens in. For me: I shift fine from 1-2 (this is while I'm going to work - so no crazy acceleration), when approaching high rpms (2250 - 2700) to shift from 3-4, the bucking starts intermittently. If I get pissed :mad: and accelerate aggressively, the bucking stays at high rpms and under boost (5 psi +). I then have to back off the foot and sustain a 55-65mph with no bucking and in OD.

If AsphaltAnihil8r could post his progress so far, that might help in narrowing down the TCC (plug or not to plug).

I would not rule out the MAF either.

Please continue to post as I have to fix this and this is my daily driver.

Well, I drove the car home yesterday with the TCC unplugged. The stutter was still there. The shift from 1-2 is fine. Approaching the 2-3 shift the car stutters but does finally shift. Aggressive acceleration exaggerates the stutter. There is something magical about 65mph as the stutter is controllable below that speed. Above that speed, the stutter is pronounced and it stays up the mph scale.

SO............this morning, on my way to work, I accelerate through a light and the car stutters and bucks hard :mad: through the light and shortly after dies :mad: :mad: , with a "depressurizing whoosh" coming from under the hood. I coast into a parking lot and inspect under the hood. All looks normal. I try cranking and the it does not sound good at all :mad: :mad: :mad: . It sounds like the starter is just rotating the internals............

At least the car is in a parking lot, hidden from traffic. Stay tuned.

Hey I had the same problem when I coasted.It was after I did a brake conversion,so I assumed it in my brake work.After about 2 months of searching and considering undoing my brake conversion I changed the throtle position sensor ,fixed it maybe it will help you .