Car stutters while cruising

A

AsphaltAnihil8r

Ok if I boost up to 45mph and then ease off the pedal just enough to stay at 45mph ,the car has this slight studder,almost as if I was driving down a bumpy road,it may have been doing this for ever ,I just noticed it today ,it is that slight of a stumble/murmur...almost like it was coming out of overdrive ,but like 100 times a minute,,,I did fail the IM240 ,,if that helps any....

Sounds like the TCC selinoid is locking and unlocking the torque convertor. MPH seems alittle low though. When my TCC was on the way out it did the same thing, but around 55MPH cruising. If the car continues to jerk when you are going 45MPH and just cruising then the TCC selinoid is your problem.;)

Originally posted by kidrick
Sounds like the TCC selinoid is locking and unlocking the torque convertor. MPH seems alittle low though. When my TCC was on the way out it did the same thing, but around 55MPH cruising. If the car continues to jerk when you are going 45MPH and just cruising then the TCC selinoid is your problem.;)
I was thinking of the TCC,but it seems to be a soft jerk (murmur,stutter and fast) I always thought that the TCC would kind of slam in and out,but that is what I assummed it would be like ,,never had the problem ..

Is there any AUDIBLE stuble/murmur whatsoever, or is it strictly a physical feeling?
Mine does the exact thing, when I hold a cruise speed of around 50 +.

What is the "IM240" that you talk about?

What about this, if we put our cars in D instead of OD and cruise at that speed.... the car should not exhibit this problem if it is the TCC right?

Originally posted by ez at nova
Is there any AUDIBLE stuble/murmur whatsoever, or is it strictly a physical feeling?
Mine does the exact thing, when I hold a cruise speed of around 50 +.

What is the "IM240" that you talk about?

What about this, if we put our cars in D instead of OD and cruise at that speed.... the car should not exhibit this problem if it is the TCC right?
IM 240 is the emissions test here in Chicago..

I did put mine in D this morning ,it felt like it went away,but traffic was backed up so it was hard to get up to speed..Will try this weekend,,I will repost ,,and please do the same if you can.

Car still(in Drive and OD) has this VERY slight studder while cruising with the foot VERY lightly on the gas....Could this be compressor surge from the turbo

My car does the exact same thing...I felt alittle play in the bearings when I had it jacked up this weekend...gonna replace those soon...I'll tell you if it helps.

mine definately is NOT the wheel bearings ,it goes away when in Nuetral

My best guess is crank sensor. Haven't had it out to do the D vs OD test. It's definitely powertrain related (not something like bearings)

Mine was doing this as well. It was my clogged up stock injectors finally reaching the point where the stutter was noticeable. I bought replacement 30 lb/hr Accels and the stutter was gone. Try this, put the car in low and drive at about 2000-2500 RPM. My car would miss as I held that condition.

The jerking was almost impossible to discern from bumps in the road.

my car had a similar studder, I put some heavy duty fuel system cleaner in and it cleared the whole thing up. Even if thats not your problem, it probably wouldnt hurt.

I would be very surprised if it was injector related in my case. My 009's are only 2 years old and have about 2k miles on them. I was under the impression that some of those fuel cleaning additive products were either junk or harmful...is that not the case?

I hope you figure it out and report back because you are describing the exact thing my car does right now. It only happens in OD. It happens as long as I try to maintain speed. If I slighly accelerate or let off the gas it goes away.

Good Luck,

James

I noticed in mine if you make a full throttle run and slow back down it goes away for a while and comes back.:confused:

The fuel problem doesn't make sense because it doesn't occur in any other gear except OD.

It can't have anything to do with a higher than stock stalling converter, can it? I think that's when mine started, when I had my tranny rebuilt with a 3000 stall.

I was under the impression that some of those fuel cleaning additive products were either junk or harmful...is that not the case?

You are correct. Go and buy a gallon of Xylene and add to your tank when you have about three gallons of gas left. Best thing out there for cleaning the fuel system and injectors. Did not believe it until I tried it myself.