Carb, non turbo buildup?

gbodyman

Has anybody here ever built up the regular VIN A motor? Non turbo non anything performance? Im not looking for 11s 12s 13s even 14s something that is half way fast and will move out of its own way. I have an extra rear with 3.73s and im gonna put a 2004r in place of its 2.41s and TH350. Think this will make a decent dent in performance even with the stock motor? I know edelbrock makes an intake ad their are parts out thier, just wondering if any1 has done this before???

thanks for the input

There are a few people here that have done just what you are planning on doing. I think that is a good chioce in trans :) but what convertor will yoo use with it?(just as important)
A lot of the mods for the early turbo's will work for you too, but first we need more info on the car: year, carb, etc
jim

Ah, somebody noticed the NA pages. :)

I have been trying to add more about the non-turbo V6 to the site. The info I'm adding all come from either books I have collected and things posted here, since I don't have a NA engine (yet).

First step with a 3.8 NA is going to a four-barrel intaek/carb. The stock 4.1 intake and Q-jet is good if your on a budget and/or emissions is important. There are also plenty of good aftermarket intakes around, but be careful, some aren't emissions legal and other were design for pre-'79 heads.

Also, on the trans swap, you'll need a 200-4R crossmember. And if it's a pre-'84 Regal, a bracket will need to be welded to the frame.

V6 buildup

The 4.1 4 bbl. intake is an excellent choice.It is low profile and flows great.If you don't want to use a Q-jet (I didn't).You can mill out the webbing in the plenum and use a Carter.The Edelbrock 5487 cam runs well.Upgrade your HEI.Headers are a must.3.0 flat top pistons will get you to 11:1 compression.And....theres always nitrous.200r and 3.73 gears sound good to me.Good luck....

Re: V6 buildup

Originally posted by brewmeister7
Upgrade your HEI.

Gene,

What upgrades do you recommend? Some people say an MSD 6, others just a better coil, and then some say the stock HEI is good enough? :confused: I haven't messed with mine yet.

HEI Upgrades

Hey Rich,
On my NA motor I had a problem with breakup at around 4000-4500 rpm.I whipped out the trusty Summit catalog and sprung for a MSD 8364 module and a Summit 48,000 volt coil.No more problems.This thing will keep on sparking to the death now.I have been intrigued by the MSD6BTM for the turbo with it's timing adjustability.Been looking for a cheap one at swap meets.No luck yet.