Carb/Turbo engine?

1chance

I have a 4.1, and all the parts for the GN engine. I saw someone running a HEI dist, on a turbo car. Can i run this engine with a carb, intercooler, and turbo, with intercooler, and HEI dist. Anyone doing this??

i was thinking about doing the same thing to my car, taking off the electronics and installing a regular carb single plane intake on it and a distributor and call it a day. it would sure get rid of the headaches with trying to find oe parts as far as sensors etc....

i did see a pic of a motor with a distributor and tried to get more info on it but didnt get much responses about it

if you find out more please share since i would love to do this on my car
it would surely simplify the engine compartment just a turbo intercooler and a carb...

let me know
best of luck

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

be a good project for someone that has the extra parts sittin around and a n/a car, surprised no one has messed around with it yet.

i already looked into the intake and one is available for only 280 and i talked with some carb folks and a fi carb will run about 600 and as far as the costs thats all you need with a dist and a new fuel pump other than that its easy it shouldnt take more then a day to take off the factory and install all of the other things back onto the motor...

i wonder how much a factory 86-87 intake injectors rail throttle body etc would sell for to offset the cost of the conversion

slawek

You mean like this?

DSC01329.jpg

Jim

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!! thats exactly what i was talking about...
now you screwed yourself lol

get me some part numbers lol

for the intake... open plenum right

and what carb are you using

what dist...

you just opened a can man lol

im gonna bug the crap out of you since you started your conversion for it already

may i as you what your reasons were for the setup

mine are the price and lack of availability of factory parts,ease of turning it into twins later on and cleaning up the compartment

slawek

hey is that a factory intake with a plate bolted on top of it to install a carb?

No, it is a weiand 7541. We were converting a hot air car to intercooled and have everthing to do it. My son just wanted to do somthing different than everone else. He has a friend that did a blow through on a 5.0 mustang with a stock engine and ran some unreal times with it. Keven at CSU carbs was about to convert his GN to a blow through carb system but sold the car before he got to convert it. Keven thinks it will work really good. If it don't work we can go back to FI and I can use the carb on my Corvette with a pro charger.

Our setup is:
LE-TA-61, ATR SS Headers and 3” down pipe with ATR wastegate, ATR 2 1/2" SS Exhaust, Turbomotion Race Port iron heads w/ 1.77"/1.5" Manley's, ATR 309G Roller cam, T/A Performance 1.6 roller rockers, MSD Billet Distributor and 6 BTM ignition, RJC Mega cooler, PTS radiator, HV Front Cover, 140 Block (85 GN), T/A performance cam bearings,.030 over TRW’s, Sealed power rings, Federal-mogul main and King rod bearings, Billet center caps, Weiand 7541 single plane intake, CSU 750 Carburetor, EV 4150 o-ringed Bonnet, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, Aeromotive 132-04 regulator, CK Performance T400 with brake and JW UltraBell, 3600 rpm converter, Moser 9 inch with 35 spline axlesi,spool, Wilwood disc brakes F/R, HR parts complete suspension.

Jim

thank you for your fast answers

i dont see why it will not work well chevys have been doing it for years with just getting a carb hat and installing a damn supercharger to it and having a blast...\

once it gets working and i dont see why id like to install twins _2 stock 87 turbos with smaller housings on them like .48 and install a 6 speed out of a f body

that would be one fun car

what is the red line for our mtors like 5500 rpm stock? and how can i raise that or is it not worth it because of the motor getting blown?
slawek

No, it is a weiand 7541. We were converting a hot air car to intercooled and have everthing to do it. My son just wanted to do somthing different than everone else. He has a friend that did a blow through on a 5.0 mustang with a stock engine and ran some unreal times with it. Keven at CSU carbs was about to convert his GN to a blow through carb system but sold the car before he got to convert it. Keven thinks it will work really good. If it don't work we can go back to FI and I can use the carb on my Corvette with a pro charger.

Our setup is:
LE-TA-61, ATR SS Headers and 3” down pipe with ATR wastegate, ATR 2 1/2" SS Exhaust, Turbomotion Race Port iron heads w/ 1.77"/1.5" Manley's, ATR 309G Roller cam, T/A Performance 1.6 roller rockers, MSD Billet Distributor and 6 BTM ignition, RJC Mega cooler, PTS radiator, HV Front Cover, 140 Block (85 GN), T/A performance cam bearings,.030 over TRW’s, Sealed power rings, Federal-mogul main and King rod bearings, Billet center caps, Weiand 7541 single plane intake, CSU 750 Carburetor, EV 4150 o-ringed Bonnet, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, Aeromotive 132-04 regulator, CK Performance T400 with brake and JW UltraBell, 3600 rpm converter, Moser 9 inch with 35 spline axlesi,spool, Wilwood disc brakes F/R, HR parts complete suspension.

Jim

man, thats a pretty nice set up, if it works out, that should be a serious set up!! sweet!! good luck, any eta. to when you'll have it running?

Thats exactly what i was wanting to do. I read that a carb turbo car can get more power than FI. Would you please give more detail on the parts, so i know where to buy them, and what part numbers they are. I will be putting it in my 81 TTA.

Thats exactly what i was wanting to do. I read that a carb turbo car can get more power than FI. Would you please give more detail on the parts, so i know where to buy them, and what part numbers they are. I will be putting it in my 81 TTA.

Why would a carb turbo make more power than an injected turbo engine? :confused:

I read that in carcraft, they werent turbo engine, but the new LS chevy, and they got more power when they cahnged the FI, to carb.

With the proper tuning you should be able to obtain the same power levels FI vs carb. The nice thing about FI is that as the atmosphere changes the FI can adjust. With a carb you must make manual changes with needles and jets. JMO

You mean like this?

DSC01329.jpg

Jim

Any updates on this ? Just looking at the pix thinking/HOPING yall made it a little further. I am looking into this type deal myself now for several reasons. Would LOVE any input you may have. I am a member on the turbo forums and have a hat and coverted 650 sitting here just a waitinggggg. ;)

'81 Turbo Trans Am was a carburated turbo car. In '81 NO ONE could tune it, not even the local dealers. Finally had to get rid of it or drop a 455 in it.

Possibly today a carburated turbo car could be feasible.