You can type here any text you want

Carbon Fiber Body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Good a place as any to post this.. I been talking to a manufacturer about getting a carbon fiber car made. I wanted to see if there was anyone interested in one as well. Cost for the car (This is just the actual car body, no front fenders, doors, etc) would be about $4500.00 and there is a mold cost that would be split equally.

Also, we probably wouldnt make this exactly like a Regal body.. we'd lay the windshield back a little and do some other tweaks.

I know a long time ago someone made a whole car but I think that was before there would have been any interest. So.. anyone else interested in doing something now?

Couple questions Jay??
Who are you trusting on this body? I don't want a car that the doors fly off.
Are the rear inner fender wells going to be in place? What if I was building a 10.5 wide car and not narrowed. I was told that car you maybe talking about is in Chicago? Built by Freeman? Who made that body I wonder? We need to get a few more wanting one and get the price down a little more also. I am very interested :) What about building the bodies with doors and trunk lid, would that not make it easier to make fit or use fiberglass? I will be paying attention to this thread.

There is no body at this time. Essentially we would take a body and make the modifications and deliver it to the carbon fiber manufacturer and have them make a mold from it.

Far as Im concerned, all the floorpans, etc would be in place.

Im really not interested in going outside the Buick community with this project. I only need 3 or 4 people to make it happen and I dont want to waste my time with tire kickers.

I think thats an oxymoron.

I will ask Chris Chow, he was thinking of building an outlaw 10.5 car.

This was done 20 years ago. A little digging around should find the Regal plug.
A friend had one and it was a great looking piece, complete with laid back window.
The car was in Houston until it was sold and moved (not sure where).

If someone has the mold, Id be sending him some business. Everyone Ive talked to doesnt have one and never has had one.

If I can locate a number for Gene DePuty I'll get back w/info.
Maybe someone here knows where to locate him.

I recall Kent Rudbeck buying an entire fiberglass Regal from a friend of mine in Kansas City. If I recall correctly, Kent sold that and went with a better part. Maybe ask him for details?

Regal Mold

Jim Dotson, Middleboro, Ky.

He has or had a f/g body from Creative GlassWorks of Oneida,TN.(I pretty sure, now closed)
But, Jim might know where the mold is now. Or where it went to.

I considered one in the past.
Might still be interested???????????????????

fiber body

Fiber body ,trunk mounted twin turbos, TA stage motor and I am near import drag weights. Hang on, new records could be set. I would love to drop a couple of hundred pounds. ;)

Im really not interested in going outside the Buick community with this project. I only need 3 or 4 people to make it happen and I dont want to waste my time with tire kickers.

I'm in if you can get it at that price. I had been planning on using a glass Nova or Camaro body but I prefer the Regal. Please contact me if you have any luck with this.

We already found someone that will do it. We are hoping a few others might want to get in to help offset the mold cost... It would be nice to make a few areodynamic changes...

We already found someone that will do it. We are hoping a few others might want to get in to help offset the mold cost... It would be nice to make a few areodynamic changes...

Any chance of a CF hood???

carbon vs. stock

Any idea what the weight difference would be between a stock body vs. a carbon body is? I still have my first copy of the Modern Musclecar sales catalog from 1996 and it has fiberglass and carbon fiber parts which included the weights and prices for complete cars. I dont know if I can post prices but a complete car weight was only 68lbs. for carbon and 140lbs. for fiber. The pin on hood was listed at 8 lbs and the trunk at 4 lbs. 68 lbs for a body, that's 2 stock GN rims with tires! A carbon fiber frame would be the pinacle for the road race guys. You could brace the frame as much as you like without adding much weight. Exotic sports car technology. :biggrin:

Back