Carpet dying

WE287GN

Did a little search here on the board. Found a couple posts on the subject..
Wondering if there are any success stories..I picked up a decent driver from the local boneyard. Only problem is its maroon-ish..My interior on my Regal project car is light grey..I was hoping to maybe try the Rit stuff and go with the black...I have used this stuff on the plastic parts of RC cars back in the day..Always used boiling water..Not sure how to apply it just yet..

Find a deep enough bucket, dip it rolled up one side at a time???

Not sure if there are other methods or not, maybe there is no good cheap way to do it..
Figured I'd start here.
TIA

I was able to get mine somewhat black again. I too used the Rit dye (same as on my Team Associated RC-10 about 20 years ago ;) ) to dye my carpet. I got a small spray bottle and filled it with hot tap water and then poured in a little bit of dye. I didnt measure it, i just eyeballed it. I then sprayed the entire carpet with the dye. My spray bottle was little so i had to do it a couple of times. I then dried it for a day. After that i washed it with clothes detergent in the driveway and a lot of dye rinsed out from it but it did keep some of the dye. Seems to be holding up good, this is from the top of my head so i may have missed some details about my procedure.

Good Luck!

p.s. Typing from work and in a rush so sorry if some of it does not make sense...

I was able to get mine somewhat black again. I too used the Rit dye (same as on my Team Associated RC-10 about 20 years ago ;) ) to dye my carpet. I got a small spray bottle and filled it with hot tap water and then poured in a little bit of dye. I didnt measure it, i just eyeballed it. I then sprayed the entire carpet with the dye. My spray bottle was little so i had to do it a couple of times. I then dried it for a day. After that i washed it with clothes detergent in the driveway and a lot of dye rinsed out from it but it did keep some of the dye. Seems to be holding up good, this is from the top of my head so i may have missed some details about my procedure.

Good Luck!

p.s. Typing from work and in a rush so sorry if some of it does not make sense...

Makes sense , thanks Sal, think I found your post in the search ..Had one of those as well with the graphite chasis lol:smile:

Good to know its holding..How long as it been dyed now?

You might want to try a vinyl dye (paint) like the stuff that comes in a spray can.
I used to deal with a guy in Pennsylvania that would sell me SEM vinyl dye in quarts .You would spray it on kinda heavy then brush it in.

Why not just buy a new carpet... $150 or so??? IIRC. Probably cheaper and easier, time consuming, (and less messy) and it would give you an excuse to pull the interior, clean under the carpet, address any issues on the floor plans if there are any, and new carpet smells better than old stuff... Just a thought.

Makes sense , thanks Sal, think I found your post in the search ..Had one of those as well with the graphite chasis lol:smile:

Good to know its holding..How long as it been dyed now?

Yea, i always wanted that graphite chassis but parents would never spring for it :( I still have my aluminum chassis RC 10s at home :)

Anyways, it seems to be holding up good. I should have taken before and after pics. give it a shot, worst case you will be out $5-10 on RIT dye and hour or two...

Good Luck!!!

PS. I tried the SEM fabric spray can dye on some f-body seats and it made the fabric brittle. I dont recommend on fabric.

You might want to try a vinyl dye (paint) like the stuff that comes in a spray can.
I used to deal with a guy in Pennsylvania that would sell me SEM vinyl dye in quarts .You would spray it on kinda heavy then brush it in.
I assumed that the paint wouldnt be thin enough..

Why not just buy a new carpet... $150 or so??? IIRC. Probably cheaper and easier, time consuming, (and less messy) and it would give you an excuse to pull the interior, clean under the carpet, address any issues on the floor plans if there are any, and new carpet smells better than old stuff... Just a thought.
Agreed, however, this was just to put carpet in a budget daily driver, My GN will get the "new" treatment..

Yea, i always wanted that graphite chassis but parents would never spring for it :( I still have my aluminum chassis RC 10s at home :)

Anyways, it seems to be holding up good. I should have taken before and after pics. give it a shot, worst case you will be out $5-10 on RIT dye and hour or two...

Good Luck!!!

PS. I tried the SEM fabric spray can dye on some f-body seats and it made the fabric brittle. I dont recommend on fabric.

Had some fun at the local dirt track back in the day..Did a search , there stil making them , newer versions though..