Catalytic Converters?

gordyzx9r

May or may not need to get a catalytic converter. In case I have to I want to know which one to get and where to get it.

I have ATR SS 1½” Headers, SS Crossover Pipe, SS 2½” Downpipe, SS 2½” Exhaust w/Pit Bull Mufflers & SS Race Pipe.

gbodyparts lists a 86-87 Grand National / T-Type Performance Catalytic Converter for $135 and the SS hangar for $129. But will it fit? Cottons and Kirban's both have 3". Anywhere else to look for one of these things?

photo.jpg

Good question my wife hates the smell due to the no cat on my car.
Surely someone makes a high flow that won't choke a 11 car ( my goal)

There are spun metalic cats now Gordy. Should do fine where you are. Usually less than $100 shipped if you check out evilbay. Still got those lowers?:)

Good question my wife hates the smell due to the no cat on my car.
Surely someone makes a high flow that won't choke a 11 car ( my goal)

Yup x2 with Charlie,

Look for a Hi Flow Metal Matrix Spun Catalytic Conveter. You can get them in stainless steel. They are available in varied cell counts.....for real good flow.....like 540cfm +.

Head and shoulders above the old style ceramic cats we used to run. These won't choke it to death and will give you excellent performance while fulfilling the must run a cat to be legal and environmentally correct.

Here's a picture of what you want. You'll just have to have someone weld on the 4 bolt flange and you'll be good to go!

dave
MetalMatrixMetalCats.jpg

Are these available to pass California limits?

Thanks.

Yup x2 with Charlie,

Look for a Hi Flow Metal Matrix Spun Catalytic Conveter. You can get them in stainless steel. They are available in varied cell counts.....for real good flow.....like 540cfm +.

Head and shoulders above the old style ceramic cats we used to run. These won't choke it to death and will give you excellent performance while fulfilling the must run a cat to be legal and environmentally correct.

Here's a picture of what you want. You'll just have to have someone weld on the 4 bolt flange and you'll be good to go!

daveView attachment 159766

I think I also need a cat...the smell is bad..getting tired of smelling like I've been using a weedeater..LOL.
I'm still not sure which one to get and what do I need to do to install it...is there a sensor? Do I need to change the chip? Thanks.

I believe so but you need to check with your local idiots, oops, I mean officials.:D
Charlie, CA. vehicles that came with three way cats that originally came on TR's must replace them with the same.We used to be able to slide by with the cheaper two way low restriction ones but as of 01/13 no more. I'm sure our moderator who is a state smog tech employee is up to date on all this. Maybe he could chime in & offer some help.

Random Technologies makes cats. Check with them.
Conrad

Charlief1 you crack me up, I love it and im with you all these tree hugging hippy libs, trying to tke this country over, don't matter if you run a cat and its clean, you cant run that one because we tree huggers said so.

just run a factory one in stock location that's hogged out and run free flowing one behind, they wont take it off and youll pass smog test.sure glad I live where I live no smog checks, or inspections, and 100% real gas, plus I can legaly carry so when I come out to the parking and youre trying to steel my grand national I can sh--t youre ass.

The most important thing to know is the measurement between the downpipe end, and of course it's diameter, and the start of the flange.

What ever cat. you get must fit in there and mate to the downpipe and exhaust flange nicely.

Measure twice buy once. ;)

My 12 year old Random Tech. cat. measures 15.5" from front to back end of flange.