You can type here any text you want

cd player skipping help audio gurus

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Don

Banned
does anyone know of any tricks to stop a cd player from skipping? It skips when ever I hit even the slightest of bumps! its a cheapie a jensen or something but it looks great in the stock T interior and it fits terrific 1 1/2 din.

I had that problem a few year ago in my older 81 cutlass... Ended up placing some foam under the player, Helped a great deal

Of course.. Mine could've been skipping for different reasons than yours, but it's a cheap attempt at fixing.

You can also try bracing the rear of the player. Sometimes just the front mounting point of the kit isnt enough. Some kits have better support for the sides than others. There should be a place to attach a metal bar to the rear case of your unit.

Also, make sure your front mounting points are secure. Sometimes the problem really is the player. Cheaper players simply do not have enough shock absorption built in. You want the install to be as rigid as you can get it, and let the internal shock absorption of the player handle the bumps.

The foam isnt really the best of ideas. Dont forget that the player gets hot at times in there, and you want it to be able to circulate air around it, or risk it burning up. Plus, some foam will trap moisture in there as well. A small piece or two should do the trick, but dont go nuts with it and stuff a ton under there.

well mine was a 1 1/2 din, so it doesn't have a kit it fits like stock, I'll try a little foam a look for a way to better secur it but maybe I'll just look for anther cd player

maybe I'll just look for anther cd player

That's probably the way to go. My skipper was a Audiovox CD player... the foam trick helped that one...

When it got stolen, the INS Co. replaced it with a Pioneer Premier unit... I've only had Pioneers since... That unit didn't skip at all, with no foam.

SO.. a better head unit might be the way to go.

Good Luck.

BTW... I used "Egg Crate" style foam with the rough end under the player... no problems with heat that way.

Looks like a bad optical pick-up, that's what is the cause for the cd player to be skiping. The optical is getting weak so it's having a hard time reading the disc.

The design of all the car cd players can absorb most bumpy car rides even those cheapy cd players. If you ever open up a cd player and look at the transport you will see silicon dampers suspending the cd transport to absorb most of the impact.

Back