Center versus Off Center

turbo38s10

I've been away for a few years and noticed this mentioned all over the place.
What exactly is the difference and how important is it and is there a preference?

Thanks in advance.

On center .... vs Off center....

This term is usually used to refer to the Buick Stage II motors..... Buicks equivalent to the Chevy Bowtie blocks.

Our '86 and '87 109 (casting number) blocks are off center. You can get Stage II's in either variety..... the off center stage II motors will accept the stock style '86 -'87 intake.....the on center motors are completely different..... you have to buy an intake specifically for "on-center".

I'm sure someone that can elaborate more will chime in....but that is the extent that I know for sure...

Oh.... welcome back to the turbo Buicks!....

If you look at the rods possition on the piston pins on the underside of the motor when its assembled the Off-Center shows up with the pins offset to the side of the available pin between the pin bosses. An on center motor like the Stage II and Series I, II, and III will have the pin in the middle of the pin when looked at from underneith. The intake has relocated passages accordingly to account for the different offset in the cylinder banks and the front cover will need to be milled down to make everything on the front of the motor work. The rods might be different too but I don't know since I've not delved that far into building one.

The On-Center blocks are slightly easier on parts due to the decreased piston side loading but thats a full on race motor detail. I think they also tend to be stronger more because they were cast later with more improvements rather than any fundemental structural improvement. But like I said, I'm no expert.

Off and on center

An on center eng. has the drivers side cyl. bores moved .120 forward and the pass. side .120 rearward compared to an off center. Intake and rods are different.