Cerwin Vega Stroker. How do they sound?

cool 84

Got hotair?
I know they can shatter windshields but do they sound good with an average system? I have the chance to buy a 15" very cheap right now.

I currently have 1 15" Cerwin Vega, not sure of the model but it's old and made of paper. I figured it wouldn't sound very good, it looks cheap, but to my amazement the bass is enough to make my vision go blurry and it has a very crisp sound. I certainly don't want to go down in sound quality with the stroker.

Last question, what kind of box is required? I made my own for my current setup, it's a little oversized, 16" tall, 32" deep and 32" wide. Will that work with the stroker?

I have a friend that had some Strokers a few yrs. back

DO NOT GET THEM IF YOU CAN'T PUSH THEM.

They are NOT intended for your 'average' system. These speakers need power. My friend was pushing 2 12" Strokers with 2x 750w Amps each, they still didn't sound as good as they could have. If you can buy them cheap enough, get them for re-sale, and buy something else.

Ryan

Thanks for the reply. I have one 700 watt amp right now but I can upgrade if necessary. I think I'm going to get it regardless since I can always get my money back. Assuming I have the power to push it, is the sound quality ok or is it just made to make the loudest noise possible?

Your gonna try to push a 3600 watt speaker with 700 watts?

It's hardly gonna move compared to what it CAN do....

match your speaker with your amp.

I guess it will sound okay, depending on your amp. What brand of amp are you running?

When you upgrade amps, you'll need 2 MATCHED amps. as in bought at the same time, from the SAME BATCH....MTX in-house tests EVERY amp that leaves their factory, and writes on a card the performance the amp gave. You need the RMS #'s to be EXACTLY the same

Ryan

Strokers LOVE POWER, but the box must be built correctly for the speaker to sound right. The Linear Power Bread Truck had 24 Strokers in it when it was built. The thing hammered, but it had 1 custom built Linear Power 4.1 on each woofer that put out about 7,000 watts each. I actually watched one of the woofers catch on fire because the amp was able to push the woofer well beyond it's limits.
If you can get an amp that puts out about 1,000 watts of CLEAN POWER and are willing to give up 5 to 7 cubic feet of room for a ported box (bigger is better) tuned to about 35 hz and x-over about 70 hz you will have a sub that hammers.

I don't know how cheap you're talking but I've got 2-15" strokers, from an old system, and I had them in a vented box 3 cubic feet each. I ran a memphis 1000 watt mono amp on each. It hurt. Never had it checked to see the pressure they put out though. I'd sell you mine for $600 (that's for both, so $300 each)plus shipping.

The Vega's strokers not only love power but its more the current that drives this woofer.