You can type here any text you want

Champ alum and ATR headers...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
Question is: Are Champion Alum GN1R's thicker at the exhaust flange than a 8445 head? I run ATR stainless headers on this thing with a two piece crossover. Problem I'm having is where the two pieces slip together the driver side piece doesn't go into the pass side collector but maybe 1/8". With the iron heads on the car I had about 1". I tried loosening both collectors and twisting thinking that maybe they were positioned wrong. But no luck. I guess I"m either going to have to weld the crossover together or add a section of stainless tubing to the driver side collector to keep the car from blowing the band clamp to bits. Any input appreciated. Scott

headers

Fire the welder up and burn some rod !!!!!
Just don/t hurt our tranny while you are under there.

Ohh I wouldn't dare..Hey Leo, you should have seen that band clamp. Pulled it off a few days after I got home from Bristol. The alum spacer that the bolts go through was completely melted in half....BTW I'm lucky I have a welder that does most of the work for me. If I had to "burn some rod" no tellin what it would look like. Talk to you soon, gotta get my gall bladder removed on Friday. Been kinda sick ever since I got home from Bristol. Prolly too many Bologna sammiches!!

Friday

Who put an aluminum spacer in the system? Aluminum melts @ 1260.
Good luck Friday. My darling and I will be thinking about you. If I had any pull with the Big Man, I would say a few words for you. Better let her do the talking.

Thx..The alum spacers come with the band clamps. Don't know why they make them out of aluminum now that you mention it.

Is there room for a stainless expansion bellows at that joint?
I thought about doing that when I realized that stainless really likes to grow when it gets hot.
Might help with the collector cracking problem that these headers seem to experience.

Yea I considered that and need to look into it further. I used a 3.5" bellow on my exhaust when I built it. Would make the crossover easier to remove than if it was welded. Scott

Back