You can type here any text you want

change hot air to cold air help please?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jakewyatt

i need some advise and i hope someone can help me.. ive recently purchased a running and driving 84 t-type GN with a astro roof.. previous owner romved the turbo and headers and was going for a twin rear mount set up. im wanting to keep it single turbo and im wanting to do a cold air set up with a front mount and the turbo sitting in the position they do on the 86/87. ive found pleenty of after market kits that come with headers, turbo, v band flange ect, but im not sure what all i would have to move or change. i have a intake off of a 87. ive searched and there is no info anywere, i have notcied the alternator is on the passenger side of the 84 and is on the driver side with the 86 and 87.. looking to have decent power but mainly to get it running and driving with boost for now. i plan on pulling the motor and doing a mild build in the near future. car will be a street drivin car no racing of any kind other than playing on the roads. just any kind of input on these cars at all will help im new to them and would really love advise. only reason im thinking on cold air is possibly better hp, lowers EGT's, and over all availability for parts. please help!!

Converting a 84-85 Hot air to a 86-87 intercooled config can be done, but it will require some work and parts. For starters, you'll need the AC accessory bracket, belt tensioner alternator, ps pump, compressor and all the other pieces used on the front of the 86-87 engines. You'll need a engine wiring harness and ECM and Chip (PROM). The driver side header and crossover are the same, but you'll need a 86-87 passenger side header and a downpipe. You will need a 86-87 coil pack and module with mounting brackets too.

Have I scared you off yet? If not, you have alot of swapping and shopping to do. Starting with a 86-87 donor car or engine might be an easier route.

I did what you are thinking about 5 years ago. My biggest problem was that there was not a intercooled car within an hours drive of my garage. I had to figure it out one part at a time. Buying a rolled or rear collision TR is the best way to do it. Otherwise, it will be slow. I DID learn a lot doing it!! Just don't get in a hurry. Find a buddy with a running I/C TR and take lots of photographs. All the parts are available in the Parts For Sale section of this site. Once you have the motor, replace he timing chain, valve springs, oil pump pickup and all the gaskets you can get to. It will be time and $'s well spent. Where are you located?
Conrad

i'm located near ashville, nc. there is a junk yard here and i know the people well.. the mans name is terry robbins he has about 30 grand nationals sitting at the junkyard that are all his cars. some are complete some arent.. he dont like to sell parts off of them though.

Back