You can type here any text you want

Changing out differencial fluid on TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This might seem like a lame post...but I wanted to make sure I was doing this right.

The rubber plug on the diff case lid can be pryed off with screw driver???any recommendations as to the best way to do this as to not damage the plug? I am thinking of using a hand pump to suck out the old fluid through the hole inorder to avoid having to replace the case gasket. Has anyone had any luck doing this without removing the case lid? My TTA has 25 grand on the odometer and thought it would be a good idea to change out the fluid...not to mention readd GM Limited SLip diff additive.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

David:p

That's the best way to do it. If you don't want the mess and hassle of scraping off the old gasket. Hand pump will work fine. Make sure you use the LSD fluid or it'll start sounding like you have a bunch of cars in your rear...........

Be careful when you "pry" the plug out of the rear cover. These things are old and somewhat brittle (my original cracked in several pieces when I did that) The good news is that the piece is still available from Mother Motors. If you need the part number let me know. P.S. if you use a "pump" to suck out the oil, You won't be able to wash the crud out of the housing (even at 25,000mi there will be stuff in there) Turbota.

As with some GM products if you clean the crud out that was the only thing keeping the part together.................

If a GM product isn't leaking it's not running right

Not sure if the plug on a TTA is the same as the plug in a GN's rear but I just use a pair of pliers to grab it and pull it straight out.

I use a syphon pump to draw the old fluid out and squirt new in.

Messy and smelly but works fine.

Plug held together no problem. "Injecting" the GM differential fluid was a pain...seems that I lost a lot on my arm :( Thanks guys for the help on this matter.

Back