You can type here any text you want

Charcol canister solenoid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Junior Samples

Walk Away
Vader had been helping me out on this, He said to clean then blow out the solenoid and rattle it which I did however theres no rattle...should it rattle?

I have ordered new one arriving in morning but was just wondering.

I unplugged vac line to it, ran car...more vac inches, plugged back in and erratic...pulled out solenoid and no O ring..leak (bam)

But with solenoid not working properly, possibly plugged ...(?????could be cause for a few probs I may have been having with idle due to tank pressurization???...plus the leak didnt help.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Just went thru this while getting my car ready for smog. The solenoid doesn't rattle. You can do a search on troubleshooting that solenoid (I did and mine turned out to be bad). What I found was my charcoal cannister was letting charcoal into the the purge solenoid and into the line going to the gas tank. I know the original GM solenoid's obsolete. But there are other GM one's that'll work perfectly fine (only $15).

Unplug it(no code will be set), block off vacuum line, run your vent line from your tank up by the gas cap and call it a day.:)

Take the charcol canister and store it in your nearest dumpster.

I couldnt remember if mine rattled but I think I had it mixed up with another solenoid I was playing with (not on the car). I was cycling mine with one of our power supplies at work and it wouldnt move. It was totally stuck. But I kept pouring pneumatic oil in it, blowing it out, and then cycling it with power and eventually it started actuating again. It sat for 4 years so I was thinking the iron core may have rusted up. There was no bad symptom I noticed that made me take it off and check. It was just curiosity. That curiosity helped me find alot of things that were bad on my car without even knowing. Try and fight small block chevy-itis. A psychological disorder that causes people to remove random car parts when they dont understand what they are or how they work, and then wonder what happened to their driveability and mileage.:biggrin:

Unplug it(no code will be set), block off vacuum line, run your vent line from your tank up by the gas cap and call it a day.:)

I like this guy...thats the same thing I did with mine, engine compartment looks better and has more room!

LOL chevyitus....yep grab a handfull and rip it out..lol

BUT without me doing a google on why.... is it that the in tank fuel pump requires pressure in the tank to run? and when pressure gets to a point it sets off signal to solenoid to release some fumes relieving pressure which the motor burns and if the solenoid is stuck then theres a vacuum draw all the time and when the moon is in conjunction with saturn isnt it possible that i should have known better then to think that the local parts store could order the right part and not have me walk in there to see an Idle mixture control solenoid insted.

ERRRRRRR

anyone know of another GM part that will work insted?...or im gonna rip and vent the gas tank..lol

MIke

If it's the purge solenoid you're looking for. I can get it for you tomorrow. Or you can go to the AC Delco site with the charcoal cannister #. See what other cars it'll fit. Then look for the solenoid for that car. I talked to Joe Chung about this, the solenoid's a simple "open/close" type. Nothing special about it. I think it was a Olds Delta 88 w/ V-6. You'll get a couple of # for the solenoid depending on the car. Go by price.

#25526954 is stamped number

Still funny on Vaders response though...chevyitus Yeh I almost did it too but with intank pump I wasnt sure if i should.

With no eemissions in Michigan Ive always deleted but also always had Mech fuel pump.

Or my new vehicals..hell I trade them in at 65k before they break.

So anyway I should get a new one, if you can find one lemme know.

Thank god for turbobuick.com

I'll prolly just pull it and vent the tank although i'll lose a gallon in fumes per week or every other week.

but then again would i rather run my fumes out my tail pipe or from behind my license plate while I got the tig going...LOL oops

hmmmm tough call

what i did was i took the canister off and then i used a vac and plugged off the line in the engine bay then i went and bought a vented cap cap and called it a day.

my old canister is in the attic of the garage awaiting a clean-up day with the rest of the stock garbage.

Mine has been vented for a long time now in my garage with no fumes. My tank would always hiss with pressure when I went to the gas station...no more. The canister is emissions only...you dont need it. Its another vacuum line that could leak and give you problems. I am not concerned about gas mileage or any of that other stuff...its an 11 second car for christs sake!:eek:

If you live in a state where they check emissions or if you a have a daily TR driver ...well thats another story altogether.

Emissions?! Down here in Louisiana thats a joke! People drive off-road 4-wheelers on the street down here...ya think they care about emissions in the state capitol?

Back