You can type here any text you want

Chasing cracks in my Exhaust headers..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chiefshocker

Live Every Shift
So I've spent most of the day welding the cracks/leaks in both my manifolds. (83 t-type, with the tubular exhaust headers) I think i've just about had it.. one patch leads to another leak, i can't win. I did a search and found a few threads on the topic of replacement.. I really don't want to switch from this style, but i don't see any for sale online. Any tips for the welding, or for replacement?
Thanks

Are you using a TIG ot MIG to weld them. If the cracks are at a joint then you need to cut the crack open some to get a good weld. The stainless in the headers is 20+ years old now and has been through a lot of heat cycles. That makes them more likely to crack.

Are you using a TIG ot MIG to weld them. If the cracks are at a joint then you need to cut the crack open some to get a good weld. The stainless in the headers is 20+ years old now and has been through a lot of heat cycles. That makes them more likely to crack.
I'm using a MIG, the cracks are at the joints and tough to get to, i'll have to grind off all the welds i just put on, and get in there. I feel like i'm putting on too much heat for the pipe, but its the only way i can get a good bead.

Does anyone make aftermarket?

That explaines why you're having issues. You really need to use a TIG to weld them properly. I found that out myself the hard way. :(

Those are for non-turbo.

So what don't you like about using another style? I would use cast iron manifolds again and again.

Thanks i'll try that. I think i can salvage the right side, but the left is toast.
will these fit.. ??
The Sanderson BS1 header set is designed to fit Buick V6 engines in 1927-48 street rods, cars and pickups

If you can get them used then you should be ok. I've got a set of hookers that would work and have 1/2" thick flanges so they shouldn't warp out like thinner ones. These are designed for a GM metric chasis and I cut one set up to make a passengers side header for my HA C/T car. On the drivers side I'm cutting it down some. The collector will be shortened up about 3".:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 170
Those are for non-turbo.

So what don't you like about using another style? I would use cast iron manifolds again and again.
Will the cast irons fit on both sides? I can only find the lefts on ebay
its on a sand car, so the headers are out there.. Cast iron would be ok but i'd I'd like some bling..

If you can get them used then you should be ok. I've got a set of hookers that would work and have 1/2" thick flanges so they shouldn't warp out like thinner ones. These are designed for a GM metric chasis and I cut one set up to make a passengers side header for my HA C/T car. On the drivers side I'm cutting it down some. The collector will be shortened up about 3".:biggrin:
Those looks like the ones i have on it.. what car are those off of? I've got room to play with since the engine sits out in the open.. so a little longer here and there wouldn't be horrible as long as i can match up everything.
Are you selling those or are they for another project of yours.?

Those looks like the ones i have on it.. what car are those off of? I've got room to play with since the engine sits out in the open.. so a little longer here and there wouldn't be horrible as long as i can match up everything.
Are you selling those or are they for another project of yours.?

The headers are a little long and that's why I'm cutting the other one down. They're off a GM metric (Regal) chasis and were designed for the turbo cars, but had a really stupidly long cross over that causes spooling issues. If you just cut a few inches off the drivers side then you have a much better header.

The headers are for sale if you're interested. I've got $225 in them so I can let you have them for that plus shipping if you want them. :) You can use the passenger side to fab up a new one.

Thought you sold them Mike. Those are very early KB headers btw. See what shipping to 76645 would cost. It would save me the headache of cutting the 1 drivers side hooker I've got. :)

Mike and Charlie the more i look at your headers the less they look like they will work without some major mods. Maybe i'm being lazy but id rather look for something that bolts right up.

headers.jpg

Mike and Charlie the more i look at your headers the less they look like they will work without some major mods. Maybe i'm being lazy but id rather look for something that bolts right up.

View attachment 145567

84-85 hot air headers work too. just to let you know. hot air section guys are always selling them.
i think charlie has a pair for sale too.

View attachment 145567

You're right. The header will need to be shortened on the drivers side to make it more like the stock one. The passenger side will have to be fabbed up unfortunatly. :(

Looks like the driver side hot air header is the same.. that would be nice.

The HA SFI headers seem to flow slightly more than the 83's do and you can go inside them and clean the welds and tubes up some. Kinda PITA but it's mostly knowing how to do it.:)

I took mine to a family owned exhaust shop here in town. Welded it up for 10 bucks. A mig can be used on SS if the person doing it knows what they're doing.

Back