You can type here any text you want

cheap route for disk break conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNCincy

looking for the cheapest way to swap to disk breaks in the rear!!!im able to buy the whole set up off a mid 90's camaro.. does anyone know if that will fit? of will i have to make brackets?? :confused:

This is just my opinion. Rear disc brakes on these cars honk on bobo.

This is just my opinion. Rear disc brakes on these cars honk on bobo.

what language was that?

anyways, no, the disc brakes from a 3rd gen Camaro will not bolt on. there is no rear disc brake setup that you are likely to find in the junkyard that will bolt right up without at least a little drilling and fabrication involved. GM just never put disc brakes on anything with the screwball "metric" axle flange that every G body has.
but all is not lost- i think someone makes brackets to use the calipers and rotors fro mthat Camaro on the G body rear, and you could always drill the flange to the same 4 bolt mounting pattern as the Camaro bracket.

While I haven't actually purchased the Scarebird rear disc brake kits, I priced out all the extra parts you would need like calipers, rotors, pads, etc. and it came out to like $330 for all brand new parts and that is including the scarebird kit. Priced it via rockauto.com.

While I haven't actually purchased the Scarebird rear disc brake kits, I priced out all the extra parts you would need like calipers, rotors, pads, etc. and it came out to like $330 for all brand new parts and that is including the scarebird kit. Priced it via rockauto.com.

thats not bad at all

I have herd that the caddy eldorado early 80's rear disc brackets will work on the 10 bolts never tried it.

I've got ed miller's brackets to run 89-97 (yes they overlap generation) calipers with 11.6" rotors.

the ebrake cable will interfere with the shock, so a bracket is needed to relocate the shock.

I am now considering using 98-05 blazer brakes on the rear because of the ebrake setup, but I read that the blazer brakes require a 1/8th inch spacer to fit on s10's with rear drums, so I assume the same is true of g-body's.

perhaps I could use the 4wd blazer backing plate and swap sides so the caliper is still behind the axle tube (frame clearance). this would only be beneficial if the 4wd backing plates to not require a spacer as the 2wd does.

I just hate adding a spacer when I can avoid it...

I've got ed miller's brackets to run 89-97 (yes they overlap generation) calipers with 11.6" rotors.

the ebrake cable will interfere with the shock, so a bracket is needed to relocate the shock.

I am now considering using 98-05 blazer brakes on the rear because of the ebrake setup, but I read that the blazer brakes require a 1/8th inch spacer to fit on s10's with rear drums, so I assume the same is true of g-body's.

perhaps I could use the 4wd blazer backing plate and swap sides so the caliper is still behind the axle tube (frame clearance). this would only be beneficial if the 4wd backing plates to not require a spacer as the 2wd does.

I just hate adding a spacer when I can avoid it...
in the 90's, the S10 went back to the old school 4 bolt axle flange pattern- there is NO oem rear disc brake caliper bracket that is a direct bolt on to a G body. none. nada. zip.
every car and truck that got rear disc brakes that GM ever built for north America (except for Corvettes and the 82-92 F bodies with the Borg Warner rear axle) uses the same 4 bolt flange. the 82-92 F bodies with rear disc all had the Borg Warner 9 bolt rear axle, and it uses a slightly different pattern than the other GM cars and trucks.
the options are to drill your asle flange and use the thin spacer or get a G or F body car or first gen S series truck rear axle mounting bracket.

in the 90's, the S10 went back to the old school 4 bolt axle flange pattern- there is NO oem rear disc brake caliper bracket that is a direct bolt on to a G body. none. nada. zip.

I should have mentioned that part. I'd rather drill and cut the axle flange to the 4 bolt style than alter the shock mounts to use the PBR calipers with the aftermarket bracket.

every car and truck that got rear disc brakes that GM ever built for north America (except for Corvettes and the 82-92 F bodies with the Borg Warner rear axle) uses the same 4 bolt flange. the 82-92 F bodies with rear disc all had the Borg Warner 9 bolt rear axle, and it uses a slightly different pattern than the other GM cars and trucks.

there were two types of rear disc brakes available on third gen f-body's. the Delco-Moraine cast iron calipers were exclusive to the 9-bolt IIRC, but in '89 thay began using 11.6" rotors with aluminum calipers made by PBR. they were available on both the 9 bolt and 10 bolt rear ends, but as you already said, the 10 bolt used the 4-bolt housing end for disc, and "metric" end for drums, which is the reason Ed Miller offers a bracket to adapt 89-92 rear disc to the 82-92 drum axle housing.

GM continued using those same PBR calipers on the 4th gen F-body through the 1997 model year. after that came the more popular 12" "LS1" brakes, but they require custom fabbing for the ebrake to work. they also interfere with shocks

i'm not saying they don't exist- but i've never seen an F body made from 82-92 with a 7.5 and disc brakes. in my junkyard crawls, every one with disc brakes had the 9 bolt rear.
i do know that when they switched body styles for the '93 model year, every F body went back to the old school 4 bolt flange. i think the S series trucks got away from the "metric" flange around that time, as well.

I used 84 f-body brackets, and caddy calibers. made the rear housing flanges look like a camaro rear, drilled for holes, and mounted both calibers towards the front so i didn't have to relocate the shocks and can use the ebrake. The biggist issue is turning down the axle flange to fit a rotor over it. I have pics on my car domain site (for the malibu wagon).

I bought a kit from right stuff detailing, in Ohio, to put on my car. The kit was for a camaro, so I had to modify the flanges , but there is no machining of anything. The kit uses 79 trans am rotors and calipers. It cost $390.00. The only problem is that the supplied parking brake cables won't work. The guys there are real helpful too.

Back