Check out my new sub install - add bass without taking up too much space

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
So do you want to add some low end bass to your trunk yet still be able to use your trunk to haul groceries around in? If so, read on...

H112RF - 12" Rear Fire Subwoofer Box

This is a single 12 inch subwoofer box. It not only fits perfectly under the rear deck panel between the factory speakers, but also the rear of the box has the same contour as the rear seat bracing. The website says they sell for $129, but my local stereo shop sells them new for $59. It's part number H112RF.

I picked up one of these boxes, and fitted it with a JL Audio 12W1V2-4 sub. The box has the proper cubic feet (1.25) that this sub requires to be fully efficient. The sub is rated at 150 watts 4 ohms RMS and 300 watts peak.

I then added a JL Audio 250/1 mono block amp to power this sub. This amp is rated at 250 watts and has enough power to drive this sub to it's max and yet not distort it. This amp is also 1 ohm stable if you wanted to drive more than 2 subs off of it.

So far I'm impressed with how well this combo sounds. It really gives a low end kick to anything I listen to in the Buick, yet utilizes wasted trunk space, and doesn't eat up the trunk space I could use for other things.

Anyways I know some of you are looking for a nice decent bass set up for your trunk without eating up a ton of space. I don't think you can go wrong with this set up.

Here's some pics so you can get an idea.

Attachments

• sub 007.jpg
    sub 007.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 533
  • sub 003.jpg
    sub 003.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 582
  • sub 004.jpg
    sub 004.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 522
  • sub 006.jpg
    sub 006.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 545
  • sub 008.jpg
    sub 008.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 528
looks like a great fit... i have almost the same type of setup, except i have a single DVC 10" sub..... fits perfect. still have my trunk to fit all my car care crap, tools, rags .... whatever

.....AND PLENTY OF BASS!:cool:

aaron

did you get that at n w audio? platte city

No I actually got the box and sub at Creative Car Audio in Sedalia, MO.

Yes it is a great fit, one thing though, I'm going to have to cargo strap the box to the seat brace. I went to make a turn today and it slid off and over inside the trunk. Other than that, it's perfect.

Your amp will blow that sub if wicked, trust me, sold JL for quite a bit that's a efficient set up for sure. Those amps are grossly underrated by JL( kinda like the muscle cars were) it probably is closer to 350 wicked RMS. That amp would run a W3 10 WELL, and, a W3 12 decent as well! JL is great stuff, like your set up! This is what we came up with for mine, takes up a little more space, 13" sub though. We cut the box space to accommodate the 6x9's as well, very crisp and clear.
aefda66b-5727-bc0f.jpg

Interesting L8TRH8R, I actually had the JL guy tell me the 250/1 would have to run extra hard into distortion to push a W3 well, and that the W1 could be at max efficiency but the amp would not be yet distorting trying to push it.

But thanx for the heads up, I will try to ensure not to blow it.

One thing if I may ask, for a head unit with a 2.2 volt pre out, where should you set the gain on the amp? I have mine at 1/2 mark.

Well, if your head unit has 2.2 you're probably safe up to 3/4. I'd recommend finding a head unit with a 5v or if you can find one, an 8v, then you'll have to adjust it back down. But with the pre out amperage of your current unit the salesman was truthful, I always base off of 5v pre out. HTH

Actually I got the pre out voltage I think off Pioneers website. I still remember back when they were .5 a volt! :eek:

LOL yeah, THOSE were the days!!! I've got one of the old school Eclipse 8v decks, won't ever sell it, been offered over a G for it.

only question I have is why is sub facing away from passenger compartment? I have similar set up and faced mine in opposite direction, strapping it to rear seat braces for added stability. :confused: maybe it does not matter? What do I know, just wondering. Thanks

only question I have is why is sub facing away from passenger compartment? I have similar set up and faced mine in opposite direction, strapping it to rear seat braces for added stability. :confused: maybe it does not matter? What do I know, just wondering. Thanks

More air, turn yours around, it'll be a big difference!

I was told by a car audio shop years ago that you get more bass to the front of the car if you face the subs towards the rear.

In my situation, the rear of the box has a 45 degree angle to it, so it fits right up against the rear seat brace perfectly.

yep huge difference.... if you think about it facing towards that back seat blocks all the air from the sub and muffles it... by facing it towards the back the sub has lots of room for the sound waves to project...

I got it thanks. Makes sence, and I will try that. Unfortunatly, my box has the slant on the front (speaker side), so it looked as though it should face rear seat. I think it is a truck box.